• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss LED Replacement Bulb Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just bought some LED replacement bulbs for our kitchen lights. I have attached 2 images for reference. I was told the replacement LEd would simply replace the standard E14 SES halogen bulbs. The problem we have is that when we have put in 3 new LED bulbs into the fitting, only the middle one works. Swapping the bulbs around doesn't change anything, we just have the middle one lit. I have then put in halogen bulbs in the outer 2 lights along with the middle LED and all 3 light up. I have even swapped the outer ones for a different LED light ( an R50 from the bathroom ) and this just flashes. There is no transformer in the actual fitting. And works fine with 3 standard halogen bulbs. Just thought I was doing the right thing trying to save electricity....very frustrating. Any ideas?

LED Replacement Bulb Issue 21586789_10154993217619677_4372306219684020605_o - EletriciansForums.net

LED Replacement Bulb Issue 21751263_10154991916599677_4671082592905810529_n - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks for the reply. Rpa07 - Do you mean polarity in the fitting when you say holder? Surely that can't be it as it was working fine and still does if there are 3 std bulbs in.

Light is not on a dimmer DJ Ovengloves.

Just expanding on post #2 - the centre contact on the Edison Screw lamp holder must be the L (brown wire). If this is the cause of the outer LEDs not working, then by reversing the connections in that orrible connector block the two end lamps should start to work and the centre one stop. The wiring in that light fitting is a mess - the earth connection needs checking too.

Thanks for the reply. Rpa07 - Do you mean polarity in the fitting when you say holder? Surely that can't be it as it was working fine and still does if there are 3 std bulbs in.

deleted dure to beer talk.

If it hasn't been sorted already. The halogen lamps aren't polarity conscious but as wilko has said - if the terminations in the lamp holder are wrong way around then polarity will be wrong and LED lamps will not work. Could be a manufacture issue if it is that (which it sounds likely if halogens work and LED don't)
We've all come across the imported lights with the cables with clear insulation with the faintest of colours down one edge or not at all, doesn't make our job easier having to do continuity tests to work out which wire is which!

Weak spring centre contacts on the outer holders. Slightly different lamp shape/contact profile and it may not make good contact.

Or body of bulb (lamp) fouling on holder before it makes good electrical contact - have seen this before.

If these LEDs are 240V polarity is not an issue.
Is that right? Because of COB? Thought that a diode made the AC only go the one direction to make the LED work so if polarity wrong it's an issue. I like being wrong - means I learnt something today!

you're applying 240V A.C. the lamp's built in driver deals with the rectification and step down. that's why drivers go bang sometimes.

Saying that Tel - obviously having a brain fart moment, as a GU10 LED could go in either way so polarity not an issue there. 12v DC, it would be I guess. Thanks

Saying that Tel - obviously having a brain fart moment, as a GU10 LED could go in either way so polarity not an issue there. 12v DC, it would be I guess. Thanks
LED Replacement Bulb Issue {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

A bit confused with the replies. Sorry. So to re-cap on my issue, any of the newly purchased LEDs will only work in the central fitting. We have 2 of these lights in the kitchen and it happens with both. An LED in the central one lights up as does any halogen in the outers. If you say the wires might need swapping which would then supposedly mean the 2 outer light works but not the middle, then how do I get all 3 working? I'm fairly sure the wires in and out of the terminal block are correctly wired but didn't know that a normal halogen will work if the L & N are mixed up.
There is no transformer and someone mentioned a driver, where would that be? In the new LED bulb itself?
Sorry if daft questions!

the driver is incorporated in the LED bulb. polarity is not an issue. the best guess i can make is that the new LED bulbs are bottoming out in the fitting before the centre contact makes. try bending the centre contact in the fitting up a bit ( isolate supply first ).

Reply to LED Replacement Bulb Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back