Discuss LED replacements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Okay, this is probably going to be a really stupid question, but I'm hoping someone can point out my error.

We have spotlights all over our house, and they are all fitted with this model bulb:

TP24 LED 3W Lamp 8722 SMD NEW Replaces 2886 Long Neck GU10 LED Bulb | eBay

Not wanting to pay £8 a lamp, I bought these from Toolstation:

LED 6W COB Lamp GU10 Cool White 400lm A+ - Toolstation

But they just don't fit. They seem to me to have the same fitting, and are the same size in all areas. The TP24 lamps slide straight in and turn easily, but the Toolstation ones just won't go.

So I'm pretty certain I've ordered the wrong lamps, but hoping someone can point out the difference between them for me.

Interesting one. I thought any GU10 lamp should fit into any GU10 lamp holder... I can't see then ebay lamp as the site is blocked at work.

Okay, this is probably going to be a really stupid question, but I'm hoping someone can point out my error.

We have spotlights all over our house, and they are all fitted with this model bulb:

TP24 LED 3W Lamp 8722 SMD NEW Replaces 2886 Long Neck GU10 LED Bulb | eBay

Not wanting to pay £8 a lamp, I bought these from Toolstation:

LED 6W COB Lamp GU10 Cool White 400lm A+ - Toolstation

But they just don't fit. They seem to me to have the same fitting, and are the same size in all areas. The TP24 lamps slide straight in and turn easily, but the Toolstation ones just won't go.

So I'm pretty certain I've ordered the wrong lamps, but hoping someone can point out the difference between them for me.

HT, do you mean the lamp wont actually fit into the GU10 terminals or that lamp won't fit into the actual light fitting? I have had the latter problem once or twice but never the former.

After having another look tonight, I've found the issue. As per the link about GU10 L1 fittings (TP24) before, this rings true.

The TP24 lamp is on the left, the GU10 from Toolstation on the right. As you can see, they are same dimensions in length. Also, the GU10 on the right has the bevel which means it's a GU10 and not GZ10 (which is square).

20151006_185016.jpg

Turn them up and you will see the TP24 lamp (left) has a hole in the centre - something the GU10 lamp lacks. It mentions this hole in the article I posted earlier.

20151006_185029.jpg

A snap of the fitting and you can see a dimple in the centre, which stops the GU10 from inserting meaning it will only take TP24 lamps.

20151006_185103.jpg

Anyone come across this before? Is there legitimate reason for this or is it purely a way to make sure TP24 gets the custom?

Now that I've looked you can see the "L1 11W" sticker on the fitting. However, I've searched L1 long neck (76mm length) and all that shows up is TP24.

I can only assume these were proprietary fittings designed to only take low wattage lamps and therefore comply with new build regulations that require a certain amount of lumens per circuit watt for a certain percentage of fitings. They tried it with pendants and it didn't catch on.

You could just swap the lamp holders in the light fittings ....
20 x GU10 Lamp Holder Mains Base Connector Downlighter Fitting UK supplier bulb | eBay

I can only assume these were proprietary fittings designed to only take low wattage lamps and therefore comply with new build regulations that require a certain amount of lumens per circuit watt for a certain percentage of fitings. They tried it with pendants and it didn't catch on.

You could just swap the lamp holders in the light fittings ....
20 x GU10 Lamp Holder Mains Base Connector Downlighter Fitting UK supplier bulb | eBay

There used to be a requirement that the fitting could only accept low energy bulbs, hence fittings such as these. My place had BC3 lampholders (like a BC but with 3 prongs). Replacement bulbs cost about 3 times the price and come in a very limited range, so changing the lampholders was one of the first things I did.
Since the sale of tungsten filament bulbs was restricted, the requirement for 'low energy only' lampholders was quietly dropped, although many properties still have them.

There used to be a requirement that the fitting could only accept low energy bulbs, hence fittings such as these. My place had BC3 lampholders (like a BC but with 3 prongs). Replacement bulbs cost about 3 times the price and come in a very limited range, so changing the lampholders was one of the first things I did.
Since the sale of tungsten filament bulbs was restricted, the requirement for 'low energy only' lampholders was quietly dropped, although many properties still have them.

Was it ever a specific requirement to have proprietary lamp holders, or was that just one solution to comply with a requirement of the building regs ?

Was it ever a specific requirement to have proprietary lamp holders, or was that just one solution to comply with a requirement of the building regs ?

Yes, under part L there was a requirement that you had to install fittings that would only accept a low energy bulb, whether it be PL, BC3, TP24, or a non-replaceable LED. The previous rule was simply that you had to have low energy bulbs, but that did nothing to stop installers getting out their box of low energy bulbs for the duration of a visit by anyone in a suit.
I suppose it was a bit like the VHS vs Betamax battle of the 80s; in this case PL seems to have 'won' although all CFL bulbs are old hat now.

Yes, under part L there was a requirement that you had to install fittings that would only accept a low energy bulb, whether it be PL, BC3, TP24, or a non-replaceable LED. The previous rule was simply that you had to have low energy bulbs, but that did nothing to stop installers getting out their box of low energy bulbs for the duration of a visit by anyone in a suit.
I suppose it was a bit like the VHS vs Betamax battle of the 80s; in this case PL seems to have 'won' although all CFL bulbs are old hat now.
i thought that was just one option?
there is a list somewhere of the things they can do and i know lighting is one of the options

After having another look tonight, I've found the issue. As per the link about GU10 L1 fittings (TP24) before, this rings true.

The TP24 lamp is on the left, the GU10 from Toolstation on the right. As you can see, they are same dimensions in length. Also, the GU10 on the right has the bevel which means it's a GU10 and not GZ10 (which is square).

View attachment 30248

Turn them up and you will see the TP24 lamp (left) has a hole in the centre - something the GU10 lamp lacks. It mentions this hole in the article I posted earlier.

View attachment 30249

A snap of the fitting and you can see a dimple in the centre, which stops the GU10 from inserting meaning it will only take TP24 lamps.

View attachment 30250

Anyone come across this before? Is there legitimate reason for this or is it purely a way to make sure TP24 gets the custom?
I,ve discovered this too.When i saw your comments i used a stanley knife to gouge out a deeper hole in a normal non TP24 LED and now it fits in a TP24 light fitting.Its obviously a con trick to force people to use expensive TP24 GU10 Bulbs after they have bought non TP24 GU10 LED's. Disgraceful really. TP 24 GU10 bulbs shouldnt be called GU 10 bulbs,maybe they should be called GU11 if that designation is free. And TP24 light fittings should be reclassified as GU11 if that is not being used elsewhere.

Reply to LED replacements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net