Discuss LED security light flashing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rophl

-
Reaction score
Hi! Haven't posted here before but maybe you guys have some good advice. I'm on a job at the moment, they've given me an LED security light to wire in, I've never used one of these before, lo and behold it doesn't work. Derp. It lights up but flashes on/off about once a second. It's rated for UK mains and draws 50 W so I reckon it's some problem with it's transformer. Any advice? It's got no dimmer (I know about LEDs and dimmers), its just on/off.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum :) .
About the light - is it supposed to be on, but flashes? Can you tell us the make / model too?

I let customers find and supply decorative light fittings. I hate fitting them generally but it's less of a hassle if they get them.

Anything else, I'll generally supply and fit. Had too many issues in the past of the crap they have supplied being more hassle to install and then failing and needing replaced and me billing them for it with their jaw hitting the floor because I billed them to replace the crap they issued which failed.

Now it's the simple line, well you wouldn't take some potatoes and a fish down to the local chip shop and ask them to cook you a fish supper? So why do you expect the same from me?

Yeah I know I ought to handle customers better, I've got lots to learn still. I'm committed now though. They're happy to return it I just need to come up with a reason why it's broken instead of me ----ing up yeah?

You would need to specify it is has an integral PIR sensor or a separate sensor or no sensor at all.
You would also need to specify if it flashes when it is supposed to be off or flashes when it is supposed to be on (or both).
If it has no sensor then check it is not wired in incorrect polarity.
If it has a sensor then the sensor may have a loose connection that fails on applying power which then allows the connection to restore and so on. Similar situation with the internal wiring of the LED. Alternatively the sensor may be being triggered by an intermittent source but less likely at that flash frequency.
If it is flashing (dimly) only when off then there could be induced voltage coming from adjacent power cables.
Wire it to a plug and plug it into a socket circuit and see if the same effect happens.
There are a lot of cheap LEDs about that have not been constructed to high quality.

Thanks Richard, I'll check those things in the morning. It's flashing when it's supposed to be on, when off it's doing nothing. The unit has an integral sensor but I don't know what kind, I'll check that too. Intermittent could be possible, this place is way out in the countryside and they have a big pool pump system that might be triggering weirdness.

Perhaps light on tricks the inbuild daylight sensor into thinking it's daytime, turns off, then cycle repeats. Try masking the sensor and see if it runs ok?

Check whether you’ve wired a Line and Neutral to the light, or a Line and switched Line.
good thinking. if OP has wired from a switch with no N, light will see an apparent L-N which could turn it on, then the apparent voltage disappears under load.

Reply to LED security light flashing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net