Discuss LED Track Lighting or LED Batten? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stocky

-
Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking for a lighting system which will illuminate a wall which faces onto a dimly lit corridor and has artwork on it. The length of the display is approx 7ft and the height is 4ft. I have read around at the options and would really appreciate some feedback on this before I speak to an electrician.

The difficulty (I believe) is that there is only one horizontal plane at the top of the wall that I can fit the light source to. This is the underside of a box (containing a roll down shutter mechanism) which projects about 10 inches from the wall. Therefore, the light system I fit to this will mean a light shining close to the art work.

I have looked at track lighting but I am worried that the spotlights would be too close to the art work to create a broad, wall wash light effect. So I was wondering about an LED batten. I've seen the Sylvania LED batten model (at Screwfix) which says it has a reflective cover to help direct the light.
There is a plug socket nearby so I'm looking for a system that can be plugged into this. I'd also like it to be low energy use and low cost to run and maintain.

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Hi
I'm looking for a lighting system which will illuminate a wall which faces onto a dimly lit corridor and has artwork on it. The length of the display is approx 7ft and the height is 4ft. I have read around at the options and would really appreciate some feedback on this before I speak to an electrician.

The difficulty (I believe) is that there is only one horizontal plane at the top of the wall that I can fit the light source to. This is the underside of a box (containing a roll down shutter mechanism) which projects about 10 inches from the wall. Therefore, the light system I fit to this will mean a light shining close to the art work.

I have looked at track lighting but I am worried that the spotlights would be too close to the art work to create a broad, wall wash light effect. So I was wondering about an LED batten. I've seen the Sylvania LED batten model (at Screwfix) which says it has a reflective cover to help direct the light.
There is a plug socket nearby so I'm looking for a system that can be plugged into this. I'd also like it to be low energy use and low cost to run and maintain.

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Are you looking to light the artwork specifically? If so, you might be slightly disappointed with a lot of LED lighting as the colour rendition index is often not very high which results in things looking a bit washed out.

Yes and no, I think. Yes, the light needs to make the wall on which the artwork is hung to be brighter so the pictures are better seen (the surrounding space is a bit dim and the overhead box casts a shadow across the wall and pictures). However, it's not specific picture lighting that I'm seeking, if that makes sense.

I think the Sylvania LED Batten light is one of these? https://www.screwflix..com/p/sylvania-led-linear-under-cabinet-batten-cool-white-13w-1200mm/5801X

The description says "Linkable LED under-cabinet striplight. Ideal replacement for under-cabinet T5 fluorescent battens. Switch included on the batten. Tiltable mounting bracket included."

I want the light to illuminate the wall (not the counter) so I would hope the "tiltable mounting bracket" means this is possible. And, the 13W will do this across the 4ft height.

You might be able to find one that is switchable between 4k and 3k I've seen more of these coming onto the market and my give you client a bit more flexibility.

Reply to LED Track Lighting or LED Batten? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock