Discuss LED tube light, a couple of questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Henri Lacoste

Hello everyone!

I'm new, so if I make any faux pas, please excuse me.

I am working as an architectural intern in Amsterdam at the moment and have been given the task of making some new light fittings for our new office. My boss found some very beautiful lights made by a dutch company called waarmakers (see image) LED tube light, a couple of questions waarmakers - EletriciansForums.net

These sell for nearly €400. Since I have a passion for making things I have been asked to see if I can make a few for the office, and for a more reasonable price. The LED tube that they use is a Philips GA110 900mm.

After doing some research I now understand that these LEDs are very simple and all that you need is a "non-shunted" fitting and then you can simply wire in your live and neutral.

Can you also run a wire from the non-shunted fitting to a plug and plug them into the wall? Like this:LED tube light, a couple of questions waarmakers plu - EletriciansForums.net

Since I don't have much experience with domestic electricity, and due to the inherent dangers, I thought I should post here for any advice that you guys might have for me. Should I look out for particular tubes wattage etc. Have I misunderstood anything?

Many thanks for your time,

Henri

Is the cardboard tube also the lamp housing?
Hi,

Yes, waarmakers also sell a product where the housing is the packaging that they send the LED tube in. Quite clever really, practically zero packaging waste.

I prefer the dutch one.
I'm sure it's fine. It goes against the normal thinking of an electrician to have a lamp in a cardboard housing but I suppose the electrical parts are enclosed in a plastic tube. I'd want to know that the flex was secure though.

I prefer the dutch one.
I'm sure it's fine. It goes against the normal thinking of an electrician to have a lamp in a cardboard housing but I suppose the electrical parts are enclosed in a plastic tube. I'd want to know that the flex was secure though.

Both of them are by the dutch company waarmakers, and I want to remake the wooden one. I agree it is nicer.

I was just wondering if it is possible to wire the LED tube to a plug rather than wire it in to the ceiling? Like you would a desk lamp for example.

You can put a plug on it, as you say it's just like a desk lamp.
As previously said, I'd want to know that the flex was secure.

There is a company in Germany which produces tubes with flex (220V - 240V) as standard and a very good lumen rate.
For example: 150cm, 33 Watts with 4000 Lumen

LED tube light, a couple of questions tube.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
You would just have to ad a plug at the end of the flex.

Attachments

• LED tube light, a couple of questions tube.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    tube.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 28

Reply to LED tube light, a couple of questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock