Discuss LED Tubes is there a standrad wiring format? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm working through converting flourescent fittings for LED tubes. A few have already been done previously, ballast and starter removed (used as a fuse holder instead) and P&N to one end only.
The diagram with the tubes I have say P at one end and N at the other.
I've been trying to get some information on a standard way of wiring these so that they work with any tube.

I've come across diagrams showing:

P to one end Neutral to the other end. The 2 remaining pins joined together (Philips diagram)

P to both connections one end, N to both connections the other end.

P to one pin one end N to the other pin same end.

Is there a standard way off wiring these so that any make LED tube will work?

Thanks
S

Wouldn't trust the diagrams to be honest. On the last LED tubes I installed (which came with their own fitting), the instructions showed L to one end and N to the other. The fitting only had power to one end. L to one pin and N to the other. Put the tube in and promptly popped the breaker. Turns out, despite no mention in the instructions and no warning labels, the tubes only work one way round. Eventually spotted in very small print, on the actual end caps themselves, between the pins (yup, very small print) on one end it said "AC supply this end". On the other end it said "Internally shorted". I believe the common internet vernacular in such circumstances is "WTF!"

That's what we've just done in one of the offices. Labelled both the sides up and noted it in the docs.
On a side note, was wondering how much if any of a saving is noticed by using the LED tubes instead? Reason I ask is I'm trying to push it through for all the offices to be done like this and not just one on a trial basis, do you have any links to anywhere? Thanks

There is currently no common standard for LED tubes, the wiring is manufacturer specific. Even further complicated by the fact that while most require the removal of the original control gear there are exceptions which retain the ballast choke.

Last edited by a moderator:
so how much time and money do these led lamps really save, IMO by the time you have ripped apart and configured the old fitting surely you might as well fit a complete T5 replacement ??

correct me if im wrong ?
thanks

I can buy a 4ft LED tube from Eddies for £35. Or I can buy two of them with their own fitting for £65! Swapping fittings in this instance makes sense - much quicker and cheaper than converting existing fittings.

Recent LED tube trial at a community hub office we replaced a twin 5ft fluorescent fitting with twin 4ft LED fitting. 96W down to 40W and much better light output to boot.

why are they converting these florys over then ? i can understand if they are the old 8 footers?

To do with energy saving and the life of the LED tubes, I've found the florescent tubes blow almost every month somewhere in the factory/office and the cost just piles up, so to cut costs were hoping to move to LED tubes for a longer life.

i just find the components in the LED lights at the moment don't last. so the money saving you are trying to achieve gets blown out the window having to change LED's when they fail.

although they seem to be getting better, just don't buy the cheap ones i guess

The ones were currently trialling have been up for around 6 months are were still on the first set, whilst the florescents have blown twice, so far.

Reply to LED Tubes is there a standrad wiring format? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net