Discuss LED under-cupboard strip lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone used LED under-cupboard strip lights?

I'm doing a quote to improve the lighting in a domestic kitchen, including better lighting on the worktops. I'm going to offer the usual slimline linkable fluorescent fittings with T4 tubes but I'd like to offer an LED option. I'm looking at Meteor Electrical Wholesaler |Trade Electrical Supplies | Free Delivery UK and Ireland or similar. Has anyone used these. How do they compare with fluorescent. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

The lighting will be hidden behind the "skirt" (whatever it's called) along the bottom edge of the wall cupboards.

Yes, I have actually installed the Aurora AU-ST100WW Aurora - 'Passionate about Lighting' in my own kitchen (To see how it would work). I dropped in 2 metres (4.8W/m) to replace 3x18W Fluorescent tubes. That was 3 years ago and it is still running strong. Small word of warning, make sure it is far enough away from the pelmet else the light is 'chopped off' and doesn't reach the full width of the work surface.

Enjoy ;)

Thanks chaps.

I'm concerned that the stick-on strips of LEDs might come unstuck in a kitchen with, for example, steam from a kettle on the worktop, pans on the hob, etc. Anyone had these start to fall off? I'd feel happier with the units that fit to screw-on clips.

In my particular instance, I run the LED strip down the length of the cupboards, turned it and then run it back again. Then used some Zinc Mending Plates 75.5 x 16mm which you can get from Screwfix in packs of 10 (Product Code: 16034). Screwed the plates over the strip into the wood were the cupboards join each other. Obviously don’t screw through the strip…lol

Thanks chaps.

I'm concerned that the stick-on strips of LEDs might come unstuck in a kitchen with, for example, steam from a kettle on the worktop, pans on the hob, etc. Anyone had these start to fall off? I'd feel happier with the units that fit to screw-on clips.

What about a bit of all-round band neatly where the units join?

I put something like these in our kitchen (hard wireable to a Fused Spur not plug in type though, I'm only using the website for example purposes.) They have adhesive pads or can be screw mounted. They've been installed for nearly 2 years with no hiccups and they chuck out a fair bit of light, if we're only boiling the kettle for a cup of tea then we don't tend to bother with the main lights. They generally get switched on when light is needed and left on until we go to bed. As previously said they do cast a shadow if too close to the pelmet.

Thanks chaps.

I had the reverse problem, once it was up there I could take it off to move the damn stuff, the one I used said to clean the surface first and used '3M' double sided tape. Is still up there and working, as per one of the other guys I don't recommend anything else now.

Reply to LED under-cupboard strip lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net