Discuss Leeds College of Technology Feedback - Leeds in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Leonie

I'm 99% of the way through my 2330, 2 exams left of my 3 year evening course.

I have been in constant contact with the LCT about their poor teaching standards - they are trying to improve but seem to be working against the tide of the 'old boys club regime' not helped by the Electricians site being a different site to the main college.

the college is amalgamating with Park Lane College and Keighley College for the 09 academic year with a new Principal. I would be interested to see how things improve, if at all.

thanks
Leonie

Leonie
i am a first year
i no what you mean me I myself goes to LCT i am doing my AM 1 i think it is on monday and they havent showed us how to do swa or micc in depth just given us a work sheet same with the testing

luckerly i am good and have bin tought well at sec and shown how to do these things but some of the other lads and lass in our groop dont have much of a clue we was going in to our theory test which is a drawing of a 1 way lighting circuit and mat sheet and half of the lads were asking how to do the one way lighting circuit i just thing that the teachers dont care at all ant think the teaching the show us is a verry LOW standard

but its good to see ladies taking up the trade and good luck to you
danny

There must be some governing body at the college you can complain to.If not try your MP,send them an email.Worked for me in the past.Good luck anyway:)

Daniel, Why on earth are they puting you through the AM1??

That was scrapped about 11 years ago (just after I'd done it) Ther's no need whatsoever to be doing that now.

The AM2 is what you need to be doing.

hi mate i minght have it wrong but its the first year practicle that i am doing its like 3 meters of PVC tube 2 meters of steel meter of micc and a clip direct 1 way lighting circuit and rings on the conduct and a swa submain the lad i work with did say it was like the am1 but i could be wrong i no its my 101 test

and i think i do my AM 2 at the end of my 4th year

is it my AM 1 i am doing cos no 1 has a clue in our groop the told us the last time we were at coll we having a 8 hour exam

after only 10 hours in workshop

Sounds like they are a bunch of mickey mouse tutors mate.If your boss is paying for your college placement,he should definitely have a word or try and get you moved to a better training centre:eek:

well i think that our firm is in the development stage of setting our own training center up but yer LCT is not recomended
Just had a look at there website and the courses they offer.When you finish your first year will you have a C&G cert.When i went to college in the dark ages we did block release.6 weeks at college and 6 weeks on site.I was JIB registered back then with the firm that i did my apprenticeship with and we had a log book to fill in and tasks to complete and they were signed by the foreman of the company i worked for to show that i had an understanding of the job i was doing.Things have changed over the years the way they train apprentices.In my opinion companies should bring back the old apprenticeships:)

Hi, me again.

Sorry Danny but you're in for the long haul (if work don't pull you out of LCT 1st) - all i can suggest is to keep complaining. I complained about the 'workshop training' in the first year where we had an Irish chap & his mate - we had to pull him out of someone else's workshop to persuade him to 'teach' us the next steps. We got another tutor in the end. Theory in the 1st year was fab - so long as you got the two younger tutors.

2nd year was dreadful - 2 old skool blokes one HV, one LV the 'School of Excellence' as their inflated egos would have it. workshop was very much plan & organise it yourself. Another complaint letter was sent in.

All this is 2 evenings a week so i might well have different experiences to you. we finished off with teh 10 hour practical exam that you were explaining - i hope they've told you it'll be more like about 15 hours as you fail if you don't then take it down too?

My 3rd year has been hit & miss. I've sent them a further letter explaining the difficulties. Live testing: without any live testing practice!! Always a corker! Problem with our groups is i'm the only one who's willing to shout out & complain & do something about it - no one's happy but i'm the gob-sh*te and will say as much.

Thing is we're all desperate to learn & ask loads of questions but that can be met with some real animosity. Complaining has worked to an extent but i was warned if i complained anymore none of the tutors would actally teach me which put me in a predicament. i chose to complain this time later on so they had the info (especially for any students joining now and working their ways through it) and could use it but wouldn't in turn use it against me. i'm not amazed at the response i had from the meeting at the college but i'm only one voice, many more need to put pen to paper/hands to keyboards and get their feelings known.

the college intranet (Moodle) is actually really good, it's all to 16th Edition but using the reg references to convert over to 17th Edtn was actually really useful as we were the year where we were told not to buy any Reg's as they were coming in that summer.

Good luck & if i can offer any experience/notes etc then do get in contact.

thanks
Leonie

yer this year i have that irish chap (jim) and his mate (ray the stoner) and yep show us nothing just cause i have a good set of work mates that were prepared to show us

got to the collaga at 7 this morning to start on my test to be told that the room had been double booked and couldent do it and told to go and revise for 10 hours of which i didnt just went home as had no revision materials and they wouldent let us ues the pc :O

still dont no the writen test i am doing on friday but all get my md to get his foot down on them as we have many pupiel at the college

and yes jaime is ok (the young lad) hes rather switched on mark gallager n paul birkby dont seam to care

yer this year i have that irish chap (jim) and his mate (ray the stoner) and yep show us nothing just cause i have a good set of work mates that were prepared to show us

got to the collaga at 7 this morning to start on my test to be told that the room had been double booked and couldent do it and told to go and revise for 10 hours of which i didnt just went home as had no revision materials and they wouldent let us ues the pc :O

still dont no the writen test i am doing on friday but all get my md to get his foot down on them as we have many pupiel at the college

and yes jaime is ok (the young lad) hes rather switched on mark gallager n paul birkby dont seam to care
I don't know how to advise you mate.If the tutors are that bad then try this link,possibly get your boss to complain or even go to the local papers about the poor standards of teaching.At the end of the day it's you who will lose out and they don't seem to give a stuff;)
British Accreditation Council

Last edited by a moderator:
i went to lct. they are bad! all training to cock and new tutors who dont have clue on the course content. when i did my apprenticeship, they made it up as they went along! we ended up doing our 3 years over about 3 years and nine months! great to get time off work but the course work etc we had to take home was unbelievably huge.
all the old school decent tutors and course 'directors' etc or whatever they like to call themselves have left or been sacked!!! i can name them all!! stay away!! i hear a 'better' place is the lockwood way site where most courses have been shifted to. i did call in there with regards to courses a few months back. very helpfull however, it still took three guys to answer my questions between them with the aid of leaflets! bless em though,they tried as they knew they were getting my personally hard earned dollar. many courses are available at many different places now. even private firms are taking on company training etc. i hear harrogate college is very good if any help

hi mti

yes i think they are going to send me to harogate college untill my firm set up a training programm as my firm arnt happy after what i have told them today

yep all tutors are usless

and thanks mac i will give that link ago

Reply to Leeds College of Technology Feedback - Leeds in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock