Discuss Legal Advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Heat damaged suggest loose connection, also it took the best part of a week to return with the correct RCBO??

Thanks for all your advice! As for complaints procedures, mine is to fly round and fix whatever the problem is! I would have if they'd called me!
Backs up against the wall at the moment as I'm not working due to sick relative. Really could do without some small claims, stress hassle etc. Think I'll point them in the direction of my insurance company and see if they twist it into a faulty equipment problem! Perhaps the insurance company will ask them if they consulted me first at which point they'll have to admit they didn't.

Hopefully they will go away..

I don't run my own business but I don't believe you have done anything wrong. I wouldn't refer this to your insurers. I would imagine if your customer decided to take this to court they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Again, not an expert in consumer law but I'd write back to them and ask for more details of the fault. If there was a faulty RCBO wouldn't there be some sort of manufacturers warranty? What was the location of the heat damaged conductor? 18 months down the line a whole multitude of things may have gone on. Have these guys charged extra time as a result of them ordering the wrong part. Would a MWC be issued for a repair?

I don't understand how the fee comes to £450. The invoice above shows two site visits, one for call out, one to fit the correct RCBO?

The customer, should of been aware of the fees charged by this company, opposed the fees you would of charged. As been asked several times OP, why didn't your customer contact you to rectify the fault?

Faced with a bill of £450, it is not unreasonable not to expect your customer to recover the costs from you, as the invoice 'suggesting' bad workmanship, and in any case you installed the now faulty product. The Consumers Rights Act 2015 allows a period of 6 years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England. Doesn't mean the goods to last 6 years. Some manufactures (MK) offer 10 year warranties on their products, not sure what Wylex do?

It seems this company has questionable business practises, but the fees are there to see, so it shouldn't have come as a shock to your customer. Personally, I would obtain some legal advise, either with CAB or an initial consultation with a solicitor, to understand your position.

Edit 'suggest to suggesting'.

Last edited:
Sorry to hiss on you're parade but I think you are up sheet creek without a paddle. The invoice suggests the conductor was not tight. The customer will maintain you were the last man in, ergo you're at fault. That said quantum should be at issue. Even crappy Wylex RCBO's can't be more than £30 trade and as you'd Fit it FOC then the claims not worth much at all. £400+ they're taking the Michael!

I have a client who says an RCBO failed in a consumer unit I fitted. They want compensation for the repairs undertaken by another electrician. They never called me first to allow me to rectify the problem.

What rights do they have to compensation does anybody know? I would of happily undertaken the repair myself had they asked.

Thanks
how do they no it is faulty ?on what situation do they think it should of tripped.Was work being undertaken by others and when they tested the rcbo it failed to trip in permitted time/or test button failed (we have it sometimes with a major brand ) and they replaced it.If that was the case the fairest you can be is you replace it or get it back so you can get refund and refund the cost of it back to your customer.As long as it was fitted to M.I.how can you be legilly resposable if installed correctly.

Also it was a good 18months after installation. Which does point more to equipment failure.
was a RCD test sticker put on the consumer unit ? Did you tell them to test quarterly? ask them when they last pushed the test button (blank look)this is why it has to be done to stop contacts sticking.

Reply to Legal Advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock