Discuss Leisure battery or inverter in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Hi all.

Brought a van for the 1st time instead of leasing. Going to rack it all, awning, lights on back for external use, the whole 9 yards. A workshop of wheels.

Thinking of putting and leisure battery or inverter in, want to able to power a few 18v 4.0ah batterys, couple of LED battery lights and possibly some 20/30w led flood lights on the rear for when its dark.

Any advice??

If it's just for charging stuff and LED lighting, you may not need an inverter. I've just bought a charger for my Makita 18V batteries that runs off 12-24V DC.

inverter is useful for chargers that require 240V input. the current is low, so a 400watt inverter should cope.

inverter is useful for chargers that require 240V input. the current is low, so a 400watt inverter should cope.

Does the inverter work only when the van is running? Because that will be good for charging the batterys and led battery lights. But what about if i want to run 2 240v led flood lights from the rear if im working outside? Will i need to van running? Will a leisure battery do that?

work out the load( amps at 240V, the x 20 to see what the battery is providing. say it comes to 10A and it's a 60AH battery.that will give you 6 hours to totally flat.

Hi TJC1
I would put a second battery in anyway and decent split charger then run your inverter and lighting from that. I have been using a 100a self closing relay from durite for my split charge for 5 years now with no issues.
Sy

Hi dude,you want to size your batteries so max use takes them down to 50% or you will have issues with life span and re-charge.

Your exterior lighting should be matched to the voltage of aux batteries,so 12v,with inverter spare for what needs 230v.

Unless you believe women should be in the kitchen,and small boys are for cleaning chimneys,do NOT use a split-charge relay,and get a permanently connected current limited charge controller.

Also,ensure whatever inverter you choose,is of sufficient quality to supply the correct waveform,or some of your mains kit may have a strop.

Reply to Leisure battery or inverter in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock