Discuss leisure battery in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mick56

-
DIY
Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen, i have just bought an 110 amp deep cycle leisure battery, or so i thought, i hooked up a cool box, 5 watts it say,s , i left it overnight and it was stone flat in the morning, not impressed ,i hooked it up to an 8 amp charger, all day and all night, my charger was still showing 4 amps, the battery tester said it was fully charged, the little green light on the battery that was so bright , dont show at all., is this a dud ? All and any response is welcome. Thank,s Mick.

i hooked up a cool box, 5 watts it say,s , i left it overnight and it was stone flat in the morning,
5 watts sounds very low for any kind of cooler. Are you sure it's only 5 watts total power consumption?

i hooked it up to an 8 amp charger, all day and all night, my charger was still showing 4 amps, the battery tester said it was fully charged,
The charging current doesn't necessarily indicate the state of charge the battery is in because the internal resistance of the battery is not infinite when it's fully charged.

A 12V cooler box would often be actually a 5 ampere unit i.e. 60 watts.
A 110amperehour battery would theoretically be able to power that 5A load for 20 hours, however that is the total power available and after a while the voltage may become too low to power the appliance.

To check if the battery is dud then measuring the output voltage once it is fully charged, it should give about 14-15V, if one cell is dead then this reduces the voltage by about 2V per cell.

Good evening gentlemen, i have just bought an 110 amp deep cycle leisure battery, or so i thought, i hooked up a cool box, 5 watts it say,s , i left it overnight and it was stone flat in the morning, not impressed ,i hooked it up to an 8 amp charger, all day and all night, my charger was still showing 4 amps, the battery tester said it was fully charged, the little green light on the battery that was so bright , dont show at all., is this a dud ? All and any response is welcome. Thank,s Mick.
Assume you mean 110Ah?
Anyway, on charge it should be about 2.27V/cell at 20C or 2.24V/cell at 30C.

Thank you all for your replies.There was a green light on the battery that was on when i bought it, after 1 night of use and a full recharge, there is no green light. Is that all i can expect from a 110 AH battery running just a cooler ? i was expecting to be able to run a car stereo and some led,s for at least one day and evening, This is fitted to my motorcycle trailer and i dont want to be on campsite,s, should i be looking at solar panel,s ?

Reply to leisure battery in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net