Discuss Lesson learnt and general socket query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello All,

So before commenting please be aware that I have learnt my lesson and will check the power is off myself in the future.

I was hopping to change two single plug sockets in my house to two double sockets. The wiring is a bit old but on both single sockets I have two live (red) wires, two neutral (black) wires and a single earth cable that has two copper cables in one sheath. Anyway I took off the old single socket and connected the double socket and turned the power on and it worked fine. This is where it gets silly. I asked my wife to turn off the power and she said she had, (I wanted to put the single socket back on until I've decorated the room) I went to take off the double socket and there was a loud bang and a flash and the wires are now black/burnt and I had to change the fuse (old cartridge type) Either way I have two questions.

1. What caused that bang / flash? I think it came from the side where the two neutral cables were fed into the double socket. But for future reference should certain cables not touch either or was it one of the cables hitting a bit of metal on the back of the socket faceplate?

2. Is it ok to change a single to a double socket? The double socket has two earth terminals but I only have one earth cable with two coppers in the sheath. Do both coppers go into one of the earth terminals or should I split the coppers?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post and I do realise I am a **** for not checking the power myself.

Thanks

Chris

1 You shorted some thing out when you didn't check the sockehad been correctly isolated.
2 Y es perfectly OK to swap a single for a double.
3 The earth terminals will be connected together in thssocket so any earth terminal will be OK

Chris, I am sorry to say the words often heard on here (here goes) but please get an electrician in to do your electrical jobs as the next time your wife might end up a widow.

TOP TIP:

Never believe ANY labelling of fuseboards .....

and NEVER rely on anyone else to isolate the circuit

and ALWAYS check the socket is actually "dead" before doing anything.

and sockets in the same room CAN be on different circuits.

For a DIYer a table light is a reasonable way to confirm a circuit is dead (plug light in, switch light on, turn circuit off, check light goes out)

Thanks All for the reply and yes as I said lesson learnt I'll check it myself next time. I usually just turn all the power off rather than a single circuit. I think if I'd done that all would be ok. Just wondered if it blew because I was changing the socket but know I now I shorted the circuit somehow. Just wondered how you actually short a circuit

L to E, L to N, if it was an RCD that tripped N to E

bangs and flashes usually mean there's a chunk burned out the copper. Sometimes the insulation can melt, you mentioned it black and burnt? but that's from near the point of contact, not some hidden part of the cable.
I was thinking that if the exposed end of the cable got blasted, there might not be enough spare on the cable to terminate it again.
That's down to whether the cable is buried in plaster, or floating free inside a partition wall.

Hopefully this thread will be a warning to maybe less capable DIYers that accidents can happen.
I think its been hinted on earlier, but it would be advisable to think about *getting a professional electrician to* change your fuseboard to something with RCD protection.

Safety first,

bangs and flashes usually mean there's a chunk burned out the copper. Sometimes the insulation can melt, you mentioned it black and burnt? but that's from near the point of contact, not some hidden part of the cable.
I was thinking that if the exposed end of the cable got blasted, there might not be enough spare on the cable to terminate it again.
That's down to whether the cable is buried in plaster, or floating free inside a partition wall.

Hopefully this thread will be a warning to maybe less capable DIYers that accidents can happen.
I think its been hinted on earlier, but it would be advisable to think about *getting a professional electrician to* change your fuseboard to something with RCD protection.

Safety first,

Thanks for the info, the ends were black on the live cable but there was enough to cut it back and terminate it, the sockets all done now I'm just scared of leaving the house now in case it burns down.

The bang/flash is a short. I suspect you did not tighten the cables correctly in their terminal. Is there any marking on the back box? Or you untightened the terminals and as it was live the live and neutral touched and bang!

Reply to Lesson learnt and general socket query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock