Discuss Level 1 student, new to the Forum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HandsOffEngineer

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new member here. I am a Level 1 student on the EAL Electrical Installation course, which I am taking part-time at a local FE college here in Yorkshire.

Good to be here and I look forward to reading your posts and having productive discussions.

I am a mature student with no background in electrics at all and I'm completely new to electrical installation - which is to say, I know nothing. I am a graduate (degree, A-levels, etc.) but I decided to enter at Level 1 because my previous career was office-based and, frankly, I don't (or rather, didn't) know one end of a spanner from another. (My father worked in factory engineering, but the relationship with him wasn't good and he taught me nothing).

I am enjoying the course and do not regret my decision. The academic/theoretical side of it is very 'easy' for me, and I've pretty much got the Level 1 theory cornered now as I bought a textbook and have read it cover-to-cover. I like the practical side of it much more because it's new to me and therefore much harder and so is a challenge - both mental and physical and in terms of manual dexterity. I am making mistakes but learning quickly.

As well as the course itself, the aim for me is to find and arrange suitable work placements in the electrical trade. On reflection, I would prefer not to take permanent employment at this stage, as I need to train a bit more and develop skills, but I am willing to consider both paid and unpaid placements and I can travel. I hold a CSCS Skilled Worker Card (the 'skilled' element refers to two completely unrelated trades).

I am mainly interested in electrical work on construction sites and industrial/commercial premises, but I would also like to gain experience of domestic work too - I am not set on one avenue or another yet, as it's early days, it's just an intuitive inclination at this point.

I have been lurking for a while and reading the topics, and obviously the knowledge of members here is very impressive and the topics are very useful. I will keep reading, may also chip in now and then with respectful comments and questions, and hope to learn more about the trade.

Thank you.

Hi HandsOff.

If you are prepared to give up a couple of days at some time, you could come and help me on the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway which is a preserved railway operated by volunteers. There is always electrical work to do in stations, buildings, signalboxes, and on locomotives and carriages. You could act as a volunteer on the electrical side working under a mentor and so gain experience in this way.

One of the many benefits apart from the fantastic atmosphere, is that you will gain a pass that allows ticket reductions on some other preserved lines. You will also meet people from outside who may well be able to offer you work. We are based near Cheltenham. Appreciate you are some way away but email me if interested.

Hi HandsOff.

If you are prepared to give up a couple of days at some time, you could come and help me on the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway which is a preserved railway operated by volunteers. There is always electrical work to do in stations, buildings, signalboxes, and on locomotives and carriages. You could act as a volunteer on the electrical side working under a mentor and so gain experience in this way.

One of the many benefits apart from the fantastic atmosphere, is that you will gain a pass that allows ticket reductions on some other preserved lines. You will also meet people from outside who may well be able to offer you work. We are based near Cheltenham. Appreciate you are some way away but email me if interested.

Thanks - I am interested. I don't seem to be able to PM you on here. It may be something to do with new member privileges or it may be your own profile settings. When I click on your profile, it says that you have limited who can view it. Possibly I am being purblind and it's right in front of me, but I can't see a PM or e-mail link anywhere.

Hi HandsOff.

Have now been able to access your profile and have PM'd you (under 'Conversations'). Thanks.

Reply to Level 1 student, new to the Forum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock