Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss light keeps going out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Daniel3103

Daniel3103 EF Member

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice about a problem I keep having in my bungalow. The light in my bedroom keeps failing. It happened last year, the electrician put it right but it's happened again so I think there may be an issue that the electrician missed. I'd like to ask if anybody has any ideas what the problem may be before I call an electrician again.

Last year, the light was initially switching on OK, then, after 10 minutes or so, it started going out for a few seconds, then coming back on for a few seconds, then out, on, out, on... I changed the bulb, the same happened. The electrician came. He said it was the bulb despite it being new. He changed the bulb again, and the light worked well for a year or so, until now...

Then, a few days ago, I could no longer switch the light on. As I pulled the switch, I got a very brief flicker of light and then it went out immediately. I have changed the bulb. The same problem kept happening. Now, the switch doesn't have any effect: the light does not come on at all.

So, has anybody got any idea of what is happening? Is there something I should look for or be aware of before calling an electrician?

None of the other electrical items in the bungalow is causing a problem. I have had solar panels installed between the two series of incidents - in case this could be relevant -.

Any ideas?

2. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

It sounds like a loose connection, and frankly it could be anywhere between the consumer unit and the light bulb itself.
    Only an electrician with the correct test equipment and a bit of intelligence will be able to pinpoint the problem. It sounds like the first electrician you hired had very little of both.
    I would advise against you poking around behind switches etc looking for the problem as I don't know your level of competence.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Even something as simple as the terminal screws in the rose (if it is a 3 plate and earth) had one last night on the way home, unscrewed the rose cap and put one probe on the switch live terminal and the light came on! Most of the terminals were less than tight so job done.
    It’ll just take an electrician with test gear and a head on their shoulders (with some grey matter contained) to systematically check it out.
    Keep us updated if you can. We like happy endings!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if all the other lights work it's probably down to connections in the switch and/or the rose, or a faulty switch or a fault with the rose/pendant/light fitting. less than an hour for a spark ( including tea and biscuits ).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

What type of fitting and bulbs (lamps) are you referring to?

• Like Like x 2
  6. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    electric ones, i hope. if they were gas, they'd hiss.:p:p:p.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Agree with Murdoch, lets rule out the cheap tat light bulbs ( :) ) sold by B&Q etc, first.

8. Murdoch

I quite agree

Some of the big shed / pound land / worlds lamp bulbs are rubbish - seen quite a few issues over the recent years.....

9. Daniel3103

Daniel3103 EF Member

It's a standard ceiling rose and pendant, ceiling pull switch and 11W CFL energy-saving light bulb.

10. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    CFL? sooooo last century. might as well use a paraffin lamp.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Murdoch

Have you tried swapping this bulb with another (known) good one from another room?

• Like Like x 3
  12. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    could even be the spring loaded pins in the lamp holder sticking. try pressing them in with your finger ( advisable to isolate the circuit before being knocked off the ladder).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    I'd press them in with the tip of an insulated screwdriver not your finger, well maybe your finger but not mine. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Timbo

Timbo Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    TechFix Services
    I wouldn't use his finger, don't know where it's been!
    Stick with the screwdriver.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Sounds like a loose connection at either the switch, the rose or the lamp holder.
    Although it is possible the contacts inside the switch or the lamp holder have become tarnished, or even the spring inside the pull switch has broken.

• Agree Agree x 2