Discuss light keeps going out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice about a problem I keep having in my bungalow. The light in my bedroom keeps failing. It happened last year, the electrician put it right but it's happened again so I think there may be an issue that the electrician missed. I'd like to ask if anybody has any ideas what the problem may be before I call an electrician again.

Last year, the light was initially switching on OK, then, after 10 minutes or so, it started going out for a few seconds, then coming back on for a few seconds, then out, on, out, on... I changed the bulb, the same happened. The electrician came. He said it was the bulb despite it being new. He changed the bulb again, and the light worked well for a year or so, until now...

Then, a few days ago, I could no longer switch the light on. As I pulled the switch, I got a very brief flicker of light and then it went out immediately. I have changed the bulb. The same problem kept happening. Now, the switch doesn't have any effect: the light does not come on at all.

So, has anybody got any idea of what is happening? Is there something I should look for or be aware of before calling an electrician?

None of the other electrical items in the bungalow is causing a problem. I have had solar panels installed between the two series of incidents - in case this could be relevant -.

Any ideas?

It sounds like a loose connection, and frankly it could be anywhere between the consumer unit and the light bulb itself.
Only an electrician with the correct test equipment and a bit of intelligence will be able to pinpoint the problem. It sounds like the first electrician you hired had very little of both.
I would advise against you poking around behind switches etc looking for the problem as I don't know your level of competence.

Even something as simple as the terminal screws in the rose (if it is a 3 plate and earth) had one last night on the way home, unscrewed the rose cap and put one probe on the switch live terminal and the light came on! Most of the terminals were less than tight so job done.
It’ll just take an electrician with test gear and a head on their shoulders (with some grey matter contained) to systematically check it out.
Keep us updated if you can. We like happy endings!

if all the other lights work it's probably down to connections in the switch and/or the rose, or a faulty switch or a fault with the rose/pendant/light fitting. less than an hour for a spark ( including tea and biscuits ).

could even be the spring loaded pins in the lamp holder sticking. try pressing them in with your finger ( advisable to isolate the circuit before being knocked off the ladder).

Sounds like a loose connection at either the switch, the rose or the lamp holder.
Although it is possible the contacts inside the switch or the lamp holder have become tarnished, or even the spring inside the pull switch has broken.

Sounds like a loose connection at either the switch, the rose or the lamp holder.
Although it is possible the contacts inside the switch or the lamp holder have become tarnished, or even the spring inside the pull switch has broken.
I agree, I had exactly this problem this week, same symptoms. A pull cord switch, with a loose connection. Simple fix, happy customer

Last edited:
I wouldn't use his finger, don't know where it's been!
Stick with the screwdriver.

I'd press them in with the tip of an insulated screwdriver not your finger, well maybe your finger but not mine. :p

I'd use something blunt rather than the tip of a screw driver, the tip tends to slip off the pins. Especially if your hand is not as steady as it used to be like mine. ;)

Reply to light keeps going out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock