Discuss light keeps going out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for all the suggestions. From the responses, it seems that I need to hire a different electrician. I'll get on with looking for one, and hopefully I'll find one who's going to do a thorough job..

Let us know what the electrician says, it's always good to find out.

if the light keeps going out, is she back home in time for supper?

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice about a problem I keep having in my bungalow. The light in my bedroom keeps failing. It happened last year, the electrician put it right but it's happened again so I think there may be an issue that the electrician missed. I'd like to ask if anybody has any ideas what the problem may be before I call an electrician again.

Last year, the light was initially switching on OK, then, after 10 minutes or so, it started going out for a few seconds, then coming back on for a few seconds, then out, on, out, on... I changed the bulb, the same happened. The electrician came. He said it was the bulb despite it being new. He changed the bulb again, and the light worked well for a year or so, until now...

Then, a few days ago, I could no longer switch the light on. As I pulled the switch, I got a very brief flicker of light and then it went out immediately. I have changed the bulb. The same problem kept happening. Now, the switch doesn't have any effect: the light does not come on at all.

So, has anybody got any idea of what is happening? Is there something I should look for or be aware of before calling an electrician?

None of the other electrical items in the bungalow is causing a problem. I have had solar panels installed between the two series of incidents - in case this could be relevant -.

Any ideas?
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice about a problem I keep having in my bungalow. The light in my bedroom keeps failing. It happened last year, the electrician put it right but it's happened again so I think there may be an issue that the electrician missed. I'd like to ask if anybody has any ideas what the problem may be before I call an electrician again.

Last year, the light was initially switching on OK, then, after 10 minutes or so, it started going out for a few seconds, then coming back on for a few seconds, then out, on, out, on... I changed the bulb, the same happened. The electrician came. He said it was the bulb despite it being new. He changed the bulb again, and the light worked well for a year or so, until now...

Then, a few days ago, I could no longer switch the light on. As I pulled the switch, I got a very brief flicker of light and then it went out immediately. I have changed the bulb. The same problem kept happening. Now, the switch doesn't have any effect: the light does not come on at all.

So, has anybody got any idea of what is happening? Is there something I should look for or be aware of before calling an electrician?

None of the other electrical items in the bungalow is causing a problem. I have had solar panels installed between the two series of incidents - in case this could be relevant -.

Any ideas?
Hi there,

Any ideas?
Obviously a loose connection at the fitting

Problem solved! I hired a different electrician. He first checked the ceiling rose and pendant but didn't find anything. He then checked the pull switch and found that a small round brass part in there had come unstuck, so contact wasn't always made. He fitted a new switch. My light is now working neatly: a pull of the cord turns it on straight away, another pull turns it off. :)

Nice one. Thanks for letting us know. I suggest a celebration with 4 pints of old rosie or old peculiar . No lager though.

Reply to light keeps going out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net