Discuss Light not working.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DT1878

I have a 3 gang switch in my hallway one controls the light by the stairs the other the landing and the final one the porch. I cant get the light at the porch to switch on the light is definitely live as I've tested it but it wont turn on so im thinking a neutral is missing? It seems that it is fed from the light switch directly to the fitting here is a picture the flex is the porch light any ideas please?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No neutral there, typical example of somebody installing a an extra light point to a porch (not knowing that you need a neutral) who hasn't got a clue what they are doing. Because a wire is black does not mean it's a neutral.
Get a qualified electrician in to sort it out is the safest option.

Last edited:
Red in top cable is the power and the other three are switch lives - check for continuity. The blacks should be sleeved. Is the light fitting going live when you switch it without the bulb in? Neutral could be lost from there.

From the look of the other two switches the neutral is not supplied from the switch.

The way the porch light switch is wired is wrong, but as I do not know how it is wired at the light fitting it would be dangerous to advise any changes as it may cause you to short out your lighting.

As wired, when switching on the porch light the line conductor would be "live" (as measured by a volt stick) both at the switch and at the light fitting, however the light would not come on without a neutral supply.

Looks like borrowed neutral on upstairs two way strappers to me with that loop live on two/two cores. standard diy muck up with the outside light. best to put a plug on the outside light and remove it from the switch. you need to put an earth flylead on that class 1 metal plate also. You may want to get a sparks to look at the age of your CU and earth bonding while he's quoting your outside light as my nose says its still on rewirable or older board with the age of that switching,

Just looked back at your posts and i see your taking exams on power factor so poor obs on not seeing the missing neutral. think now you can see why a simple outside light can open a can of worms.
Get your qualified mate in fella.

Last edited:

Reply to Light not working.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net