Discuss light switch in toilet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

th3pony

Can you have light switch in a toilet if there is no sink in there just a toilet, I think it should be moved out side but just checking

Given that a light switch or even a socket can be located in a room containing a bath or shower (section 701) then I can't see why not, even with a sink in place. It only has to be suitable for the area its installed in. Refer to 512.2 of BS7671

A toilet room is not a room containing a bath or shower ;)

Even then the zoning requirements allow regular switches in most bathrooms (I still prefer regular switches outside the bathroom, not that you hands will be any drier from one side of the door to the other :lol: )

hehehe reminds me of a holiday house i once saw it had the toilet right next to the kitchen sink and when on the pan you just pulled a curtain around for your private moment. wish i had taken photos now lol

If you sem to think a toilet needs special treatment
What do you think about the location and the activities of a person in that location, that would make it require the same degree of protection as say a bath or shower room for instance ?
Would the fact that there are perhaps millions of council properties.maybe with a separate toilet, and almost to one,the bog standard(I like the term) switch is internal to the toilet,

can't see how that could be a problem. but there has been various places iv seen with just a single toilet which mostly has had pull cords. but if a sink was to be installed in the future the lighting switch it will have to be changed to a good old pully ^^ but i cant see that putting a switch in would be bad practice. seems as it is'nt mentioned in part 7 of regs. so go ahead mate. id prob put on out side. doesnt really matter wouldn't say its hygienic tho :p^^ :)

can't see how that could be a problem. but there has been various places iv seen with just a single toilet which mostly has had pull cords. but if a sink was to be installed in the future the lighting switch it will have to be changed to a good old pully ^^ but i cant see that putting a switch in would be bad practice. seems as it is'nt mentioned in part 7 of regs. so go ahead mate :)

Why do you think it would need a pull cord ?

Usually the sink would be in the bathroom next door, in some properties
So after finishing your business on the toilet you have to turn the light switch off, open the door, close the door from the other side, open the bathroom door and turn the light on before washing your hands. That's at least 5 surfaces you've 'contaminated' with particles of 'matter' every time you go for a number 2.

So after finishing your business on the toilet you have to turn the light switch off, open the door, close the door from the other side, open the bathroom door and turn the light on before washing your hands. That's at least 5 surfaces you've 'contaminated' with particles of 'matter' every time you go for a number 2.

Seen a load like that mate. Usually the older properties.

Seen a load like that mate. Usually the older properties.
I've seen them too. Even properties with a toilet in the bathroom and a separate toilet on the same floor. They're still unhygienic though, dunno why that wasn't considered when they were put in.
If it were my house I'd knock through to make one big bathroom with everything in the same room, including a pull cord for the lights.

Reply to light switch in toilet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net