Discuss Light switch problem one on one off ?? Help pls tia in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Not an electrician ! Have changed most lights in the house no problem changed hallway light recently but now when we switch it on bathroom and kids bedroom lights go off if they are on halway bit confusing as to why if anyone could help me thx downstairs hall has double switch for upstairs spots on landing and hallway chandelier upstairs only has one switch single switch which turns spots off not sure if this is supposed to be a double as well and may be.my problem or if it's a 2 gang 2 way prob which I'm not sure what their true meaning is !!!!

Hi, it's a bit tricky to understand your post mate, as your full stop and comma buttons seem to be broken.
I'm guessing you've put the permenant live feed to your upstairs rooms into the switched live (L1?) of your hall switch.

Hi, it's a bit tricky to understand your post mate, as your full stop and comma buttons seem to be broken.
I'm guessing you've put the permenant live feed to your upstairs rooms into the switched live (L1?) of your hall switch.
Sorry lazy typing ! Downstairs hallway has double light switch which controls chandelier that hangs near front door and upstairs landing spots. Upstairs landing switch is only a single switch so eg turn on spots downstairs, I can then turn off with single switch upstairs, but if I do then go back downstairs and switch them back again by front door they dont come on again until I go back upstairs and switch the single switch off again. Other problem is chandelier which is on the other switch of the double socket by front door switches chandelier on but turns off the kids bedrooms and bathroom lights off if they happen to be on at the same time, finally if the chandelier is on the spots on the upstairs landing wont switch on at the same time, does that make any sense ??

Wowsers, I think it would be worth your time to get an electrician in for a couple of hours to sort that out, chances of someone understanding & describing a solution over the Internet are about zero I should think!!

Ok thx. Should the permanent live not be in l1 then ?
Impossible to say really, there are several different ways to wire up lighting circuits, its sounds like you've probably muddled up the permenant live ins and outs of the switch, so your turning off half the circuit rather than one light fitting. You really need some test equipment and a bit more knowledge (ie a professional) in order to sort this out effectively and safely I think

Didn’t even realise I’d pressed dumb. But to be fair I think it is a bit dumb. I don’t believe they never used the lights before changing the switch. I think the switch was swapped then it didn’t work

If your wiring involves two way switchs ? then this complicates matters and makes the wiring more complex, the avarage DIY has a hard time with two way switchs, so my guess is, you messed up the wiring. an electrician will soon sort it out. call one, cause your in over your head !

As mentioned a number times, swapped connections in 2-way switches, but if there are two circuits in this downstairs switch, you might now also have cross connected up & down lighting circuits depending on switch positions.

Reply to Light switch problem one on one off ?? Help pls tia in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock