Discuss Light switch problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lofty84

Ok my next stupid question that I should no but I dont is this

I have a lounge with one pendant fitting in the middle, at either end of the room where you enter from the hall and enter into the kitchen there is a switch. I took of the original switches which were crome and wired in the standard plastic ones as per my instructions I did this in exactly the same way that they were before i took them out. the problem I have is that if I turn on the light from the switch you come across when entering the lounge the light comes on but if I walk over to the switch you come across when you enter the kitchen and then flick this switch to turn it of the light stays on. If I go back to the switch by the entrance to the lounge and flick the switch again it turns of. if i then walk back over to the switch by the entrance to the kitchen and switch it on the light turns on but again will only turn of by the switch that I used to turn it on, in this case the one by the entrance to the kitchen. clearly Ive wired it in wrong, yes I am a idiot because I dont know how to rectify this and yes im cheating by asking you guys but as I say I dont really want to loose my job.

Im going to have a go at working it out but in the meantime here are the pictures of the switches in question I dont think there that clear but some of the brighter sparks might be able to see whats going on and help me out a little..... fingers crossed

This is the switch by the kitchen door

and this is the one by the entrance to the lounge

Lofty, you're clueless. Get yourself enrolled on a proper electricians course and stop with the complete nonsense. You're out of your depth, by a country mile.

Crikey, I'm a trainee and i'm a lot more confident on how to wire these up!
Sounds like you need to do one of two things:
A: Train to be a sparky (or if you are trained - look back on your manual)
B: Look things like this up online instead of asking stuff like this on a forum, most of your answers will be found by simply just typing in 2-way switching into Google.

After 400 posts I can only assume you are getting bored with this site.. Fair enough if thats the case but please stop these crackers posts and go annoy them on the plumbing forum

i have looked at these pictures and i think that these two way switches operate 2 different two way circuits as usually you have just 3 core at 1 end and 3core and t and e at the other or am i being thick now - maybe its a virus that is attacking electricians

just to add to this mess here is the switch in the hallway which is dead opposite the one that is in the entrance to the lounge

Light switch problems 633 - EletriciansForums.net

Lofty what is all this about? If you really wanted the answers you would google it. Are you looking for attention? Are you telling your boss your qualified?

Reply to Light switch problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock