Discuss light switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sim22

looking for a bit of advice, want to move a light switch from kitchen to other side of wall in sitting room ( solid wall ).

whats the best + safest way to extend cable, not wanting to run new cable unless neccesary.
I am not qualified ( studying 2330 2nd year at college at the moment ) so would this be allowed.

sounds like it would be neccesary to extend the cable if its a solid wall. drill through the back oof the existing switch position to the new point, joint the cable and put a blank plate in
alternate way to cut the cable within the void above and extend it down a new chase in the wall to your new switch position. Hope you have rcd protection for running in a new cable.

Technically you're moving an item out of a notifiable location so I'd argue that you'd be ok part p wise. Best way to do it, obviously I've not seen the job so I might be wrong, I'd lift a board above the switch, pull the cable up it's capping (if its there of course) and drop it down a chase on the side you want it.
Cap chase, test, plaster, re energise, jobs a goodun:)

Hey sim, you could always chase the cable out.....then chase it back in on the other side, careful not to hit the cable with you scutch chisel mate. Not very helpful comment, sorrry!

So if there's no capping over the cable as it is now, he has two chases to plaster.
Gives him more opportunity to practice muck chucking:)
And, if the solid wall goes all the way up through the upstairs he drills a hole through it in the space between the ceiling and the floor.
Half an hour sparky work, guess work as to how long the muck chucking will take

If you're very very lucky you might find there's enough cable slack left in the back of the existing socket to just let you drill through the block and pull it through. If there isn't, I can't see an issue in crimp jointing it, bit of heat shrink, then pull the join as far into the drill hole as it will safely go to then cable to wherever on the other side (BUT - remember your cable zones apply both sides of the wall). Job's easy, quick and no notification needed.

Indeed about the zones.

Providing the wall is about 4" thick, the switch cable can be left running down the inside of the kitchen wall, extended, and relocated in the lounge side wall.

Fill existing switch hole in kitchen.

Done.

Reply to light switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net