Discuss Light Switching Query! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I have a pendant light fitting and two spots. I want them operated off a double light switch. An electrician has installed a single cable out the top of the light switch as first fix which appears to be a 3 core and earth (see photo) when I was expecting to see two cables coming out of the switch, one going to the pendant and one to the spots. I don't understand his explanation (all about switch lines and neutrals!). Is there a way to do it just having a single cable out of the switch box? There are two cables wired into the pendant and another two coming out of the ceiling taped up adjacent to the cable connected in the pendant. One is labelled "feed" and the other "N".

Just wanted to get a view. Your comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks

WP_20181003_22_06_51_Pro.jpg

So based on what you've said, I'd use a 3 and earth to the switch. Beyond that, there isn't enough information to provide an answer.

But, I have to ask... why is the electrician not finishing the work off?

let's hope sparks cleans out all that crap before fitting the 2 gang, and at same time fit correct lengths of earth sleeving.

Reply to Light Switching Query! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Hi All. I need to extend the cables for a 3 plate ceiling rose/pendant on ground floor ceiling by 450mm. Can I fix the ceiling rose/pendant to...
Replies
Views
can anyone please advise on where the wires go? My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for someone to help with this dilemma. Image attached to try and explain it better. We have 3 separate lights currently...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock