Discuss Light wiring has me stumped in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just moved into home and the external light had no light bulb in it. when I put one in it was constantly on. Light switch didn't do anything. So I decided to swap it for a new light. Same thing. I wired it the same way as the old light. Strangely though it has 2 red wires twisted together for live and 1 black wire for neutral. Bare earth wire was there but not connected so I connected that to new lamp.
Any ideas please?
David

Just moved into home and the external light had no light bulb in it. when I put one in it was constantly on. Light switch didn't do anything. So I decided to swap it for a new light. Same thing. I wired it the same way as the old light. Strangely though it has 2 red wires twisted together for live and 1 black wire for neutral. Bare earth wire was there but not connected so I connected that to new lamp.
Any ideas please?
David
Prob best to get a spark in to test it and see what wire is doing what.

Any ideas please?
David
A photo may help us give you a clue.

You may find that one red is a switched one (from the switch) and the other is a permanent live.

Do you have sopmething essential like a test meter?

I separated the reds and connected them on their own. Did the same on constantly thing with one of the reds and when did the other red nothing at all. I took connections off the switch and it was still on.

A picture paints a thousand word David, as Ant has said.

Will put pic up tomorrow but its only 2 reds and 1 black wire + earth.
I have a feeling that the previous owner (who I call bodge job Bob, see pics why) probably wired up the pir light he had wrongly. (maybe the 2 red wires are for a pir light I dont know, cant find anything on net about 2 reds wired this way together in live)
Answering question about is it the switch for the light. I am only guessing as its a double switch in hallway and has only 1 light in hallway and this external light outside of front door. No other switches anywhere.
I have rectified the ceiling light bodges that bodge job Bob had done and dodgy extended plug sockets.
I have a multimeter and a volt alert so I will do some testing tomorrow.
The first pic of ceiling light was rocking on that wire with fan on!!!!

light.jpg socket 1.jpg socket 2.jpg

And, equally essentially, know how to use it?
Will put pic up tomorrow but its only 2 reds and 1 black wire + earth.
I have a feeling that the previous owner (who I call bodge job Bob, see pics why) probably wired up the pir light he had wrongly. (maybe the 2 red wires are for a pir light I dont know, cant find anything on net about 2 reds wired this way together in live)
Answering question about is it the switch for the light. I am only guessing as its a double switch in hallway and has only 1 light in hallway and this external light outside of front door. No other switches anywhere.
I have rectified the ceiling light bodges that bodge job Bob had done and dodgy extended plug sockets.
I have a multimeter and a volt alert so I will do some testing tomorrow.
The first pic of ceiling light was rocking on that wire with fan on!!!!

View attachment 40906 View attachment 40907 View attachment 40908
Oooof that's a right dangerouse bodge job, need to get that sorted a bit quick Mate a recipe for a disaster is that, beggars belief.

Yes, probably wired for a security light with internal PIR and photocell, ie it switches on automatically when it's dark and someone approaches.

agreed
PIR switch missing, I assume that the two red lives are T&E from old military PSA standards? . What's going on with the cable in the second picture?

agreed
PIR switch missing, I assume that the two red lives are T&E from old military PSA standards? . What's going on with the cable in the second picture?
Are you ex PSA ackbarthestar?

Well I took lamp off to have another look and.... wiring was 2 x twin & earth but the guy had put the switch live (black) in a connector block and stuffed it back into the wall cavity!! I decided to buy another pir so have wired it 2 reds together for constant live, neutral is black and other black is switch live. working fine now. Thanks for your input guys. I registered with another forum for help and all I got was, "get someone competent round"
cheers guys

I registered with another forum for help and all I got was, "get someone competent round"
cheers guys

Which isn't bad advice !

From your pictures I would say you should get somebody round as you seem to have had DIY Dave doing work ..

agreed
Oh that's just paint flaking where he had painted the skirting. I cant believe I missed all these bodge jobs when we viewed the property, and we came back 3 times!! I can see why he did the ceiling lights as a lazy mans way but he wasn't no young inexperienced person, he had his own classic car restoration business and was coming up to retirement.

Reply to Light wiring has me stumped in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net