Discuss Lightening experiences anyone got any stories? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been reviewing some photographs I took whilst serving in Cyprus, Troodos, to be exact.

Troodos is situated above the cloud line, or where I was stationed was, which was about 6000 feet above sea level. I was always taught that lightening never traveled in an upwards direction, this was so much hogwash as many of the numerous conifirs had been struck by lightening traveling up from the cloud layer, in fact there were warnings issued during the storm cycles, not to venture outside.

Has anyone else had odd experiences with thunder storms, oh nearly forgot the storms were Snow storms, which apparently is another no no for lightening to be produced.

I went up the Troodos mountains, one summer holiday. They had refurbished an old ---- barracks/accommodation that was put there during WW2, somewhere near the top. Look liked some Austrian ski pad, quite bizarre. Didn't see any lightning, but saw the ski lifts. Think we went paced your place Pete, you had some big Sky tv dishes :rolleyes:

I went up the Troodos mountains, one summer holiday. They had refurbished an old ---- barracks/accommodation that was put there during WW2, somewhere near the top. Look liked some Austrian ski pad, quite bizarre. Didn't see any lightning, but saw the ski lifts. Think we went paced your place Pete, you had some big Sky tv dishes :rolleyes:
Think you needed to go a bit higher up Middy they weren't Sky dishes.????

Sorry to hijack your thread Pete, but some might find this interesting. In another life I had chance to visit there, and was granted some limited access to their black museum. Was showed some very old bugging devices.

One was a plague presented to the US Ambassador in Moscow, circa 1960's, by Russian boy scouts. The Russkies listened into everything he was saying, sat at his desk. The Yanks eventually realised what it was, but couldn't work out how it functioned. So they gave it to the Brits. One of our talented boffins worked it out, and developed it.

Some time after my visit there, I visited Bletchley Park, its now a modern day museum. I was in the section where the codes were put onto tape for the bombes. This guy there had helped re-assemble it. So we were having a bit of a chit chat. He was a very interesting guy. I recounted my story about the boy scouts and the Brit boffin. He said yeah, that was me;

Tony Sale - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Sale

I do like reading about our history, but never been so close to it, like this.

Sorry to hijack your thread Pete, but some might find this interesting. In another life I had chance to visit there, and was granted some limited access to their black museum. Was showed some very old bugging devices.

One was a plague presented to the US Ambassador in Moscow, circa 1960's, by Russian boy scouts. The Russkies listened into everything he was saying, sat at his desk. The Yanks eventually realised what it was, but couldn't work out how it functioned. So they gave it to the Brits. One of our talented boffins worked it out, and developed it.

Some time after my visit there, I visited Bletchley Park, its now a modern day museum. I was in the section where the codes were put onto tape for the bombes. This guy there had helped re-assemble it. So we were having a bit of a chit chat. He was a very interesting guy. I recounted my story about the boy scouts and the Brit boffin. He said yeah, that was me;

Tony Sale - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Sale

I do like reading about our history, but never been so close to it, like this.

No worries Middy yes worked there since 1989 til I retired in 2012, did 4 years in Moscow in charge of all thins Maintenance, wonderful time smashing Russian Tradesmen, 17 I looked after. brilliant time.

We love Cyprus!

Don't really know if this counts but when I was younger and living with parents lightening hit the field behind our house and I felt the whole house shake and it knocked the power off..

A few years ago when I was on a cruise in Australia, there was a thunderstorm at night but it was so far away you could only see the lightening. Something very magical about seeing the whole sky light up in the dark in the middle of the sea with nothing around.

Remember having to visit a National Trust office in the middle of nowhere many years back and finding that a lighting strike had taken out 14 Wyse dumb monitor terminals, luckily the server and hub where fine.

Moving right along ...

In a far away place, I strolled out into the car park with my then 10yo Darling Daughter when the mid summer, mid afternoon storm hit. Some drops of rain as big as marbles then just as we approached the car ... bbbanggg ... the gal steel lamp post next to it got hit. Flash camera light level and full on stink of burnt galvanising etc. Bundled DD into car sharpish, shut door and got away unscathed. I did say a prayer of thanks to the folks that had bothered to securely earth that pole.

Reply to Lightening experiences anyone got any stories? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock