Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Lightening experiences anyone got any stories? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Just been reviewing some photographs I took whilst serving in Cyprus, Troodos, to be exact.

Troodos is situated above the cloud line, or where I was stationed was, which was about 6000 feet above sea level. I was always taught that lightening never traveled in an upwards direction, this was so much hogwash as many of the numerous conifirs had been struck by lightening traveling up from the cloud layer, in fact there were warnings issued during the storm cycles, not to venture outside.

Has anyone else had odd experiences with thunder storms, oh nearly forgot the storms were Snow storms, which apparently is another no no for lightening to be produced.

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I went up the Troodos mountains, one summer holiday. They had refurbished an old Nazi barracks/accommodation that was put there during WW2, somewhere near the top. Look liked some Austrian ski pad, quite bizarre. Didn't see any lightning, but saw the ski lifts. Think we went paced your place Pete, you had some big Sky tv dishes :rolleyes:

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Think you needed to go a bit higher up Middy they weren't Sky dishes.????

4. Midwest

Either that or it was some of those Jodrell Bank ;)

5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Thingies?

6. Midwest

Expect you've been to some interesting places Pate, did you ever work at Hanslop Park? I have an amusing story.

7. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Go on then yes I did

8. Midwest

Sorry to hijack your thread Pete, but some might find this interesting. In another life I had chance to visit there, and was granted some limited access to their black museum. Was showed some very old bugging devices.

One was a plague presented to the US Ambassador in Moscow, circa 1960's, by Russian boy scouts. The Russkies listened into everything he was saying, sat at his desk. The Yanks eventually realised what it was, but couldn't work out how it functioned. So they gave it to the Brits. One of our talented boffins worked it out, and developed it.

Some time after my visit there, I visited Bletchley Park, its now a modern day museum. I was in the section where the codes were put onto tape for the bombes. This guy there had helped re-assemble it. So we were having a bit of a chit chat. He was a very interesting guy. I recounted my story about the boy scouts and the Brit boffin. He said yeah, that was me;

Tony Sale - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Sale

I do like reading about our history, but never been so close to it, like this.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Midwest

Incidentally, he told me the only reason Peter Wright wrote his book, is cos the government wouldn't pay him his pension early. :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

No worries Middy yes worked there since 1989 til I retired in 2012, did 4 years in Moscow in charge of all thins Maintenance, wonderful time smashing Russian Tradesmen, 17 I looked after. brilliant time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Midwest

You have some stories to tell like Tony then.

13. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Yep sure do

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lou

Lou Admin Staff Member Top Contributor

We love Cyprus!

Don't really know if this counts but when I was younger and living with parents lightening hit the field behind our house and I felt the whole house shake and it knocked the power off..

A few years ago when I was on a cruise in Australia, there was a thunderstorm at night but it was so far away you could only see the lightening. Something very magical about seeing the whole sky light up in the dark in the middle of the sea with nothing around.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Remember having to visit a National Trust office in the middle of nowhere many years back and finding that a lighting strike had taken out 14 Wyse dumb monitor terminals, luckily the server and hub where fine.

16. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

I went up to troodos mountains when I was married to the Greek goddess.

17. SWD

Is that the same as going up the OXO Tower?

18. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I don't know what that means @SWD@SWD but I like it! T'is probably another euphemism that has caught me out - darn my sheltered upbringing!

19. SWD

Think about it, taking the wife up the OXO Tower is and old joke :D

20. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Moving right along ...

In a far away place, I strolled out into the car park with my then 10yo Darling Daughter when the mid summer, mid afternoon storm hit. Some drops of rain as big as marbles then just as we approached the car ... bbbanggg ... the gal steel lamp post next to it got hit. Flash camera light level and full on stink of burnt galvanising etc. Bundled DD into car sharpish, shut door and got away unscathed. I did say a prayer of thanks to the folks that had bothered to securely earth that pole.

21. freddo

freddo Regular EF Member

A job a number of years ago involved rewiring the telephone cables in a house where the overhead phone lines were struck by lightning. The wiring was all surface and all that remained after the strike was the phone sockets and cable clip nails. The cable had gone leaving just a blast mark all along the walls and skirtings.

A relative also had her house struck by lightning, the cables were damaged as above and the blast also broke a number of the sockets, the house had to be fully rewired.

I was near a tree a few years back that was struck, I would describe the experience as both blinding and deafening. The loudest noise I have ever heard, terrifying but cool at the same time. Parts of the tree trunk had been blown out by the lightning.

22. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

I've been out working on a tank farm during a storm, felt all the hairs on my neck an arms stand on end. Quickly hurried myself inside one of the substations close by. Sure enough 2 big lightning strikes hit the lightning rods on the tanks.