Discuss Lighting circuit junction in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there
Downstairs hall lights have no way of being turned off from upstairs
i want to insert intermediate switch upstairs into the circuit, unfortunately walls have just been decorated and have got the floorboards up and found the wiring but cannot pull the cable up the wall, seems to be behind plastic capping, but will not come loose.
I know junction boxes are not allowed under floor unless accessible, but is removing laminate flooring carpet, then unscrewing flooring to gain access to junction box considered allowable, or can I crimp a junction inside a box, will this be better and is that method allowed?

another method I have seen is a maintenance free junction box.
if the flooring is removable and the paperwork clearly states where the junction box is located, would this be acceptable.

Forgive me for asking what may appear to be a daft question but how do you think that fitting an intermediate switch is going to help? Or have I misunderstood the outline of what you're planning?

you can use junction boxes under floors as long as they are maintainance free these display the MF on them ashley 803 are the ones you need , also as murdoch has said you sure its intermediate you need or just 2 way

Lighting circuit junction Hall lights - EletriciansForums.net

attached is diagram of how it is wired at the moment.
switch 1 is the nearest downstairs switch to the intended new switch posistion upstairs.

I wish to break in at point 1 and run upto intermediate switch upstairs to a switch 1a (Intermediate), then back down to point 1 and on to switch 2.

this seems the easiest solution given where the wiring is and that the wiring cannot be extracted from the walls.

Yes you are right about an extra 3core, but I cannot get the cable coming out of the first switch Out from the wall channel, thererfore I cannot add extra cable from said switch to new switch, so only way I can see is to break the cable comming from switch 1, junction the end from switch 1 to new switch, then from new switch back to junction to cable going off to switch 2.

an easier way would be to replace 1 switch with a remote control switch. no flooring/carpet/etc. to be lifted. no wiring to fit.

I did miss read. Yes that would work. You would then need to test and issue a MWC for the circuit.

Reply to Lighting circuit junction in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock