Discuss Lighting Circuit - Mixed CPC Sizes! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

shocksmith222

Hi All,

I am a newbie to the forum so please be gentle! :eek:

Today I have come across a recently rewired house and I noticed that the installing sparky has indicated on the Install Certificate that the lighting circuit is T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.5mm. However, I have noticed that in fact there appears to be several runs where T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.0mm has been used instead.

From a testing point of view it is fine and Max Zs is well within the Regs guidelines. I am just wondering 2 things and despite checking my regs cant find any 100% answer.

1. For the certificate - should it actually have been issued stating the smaller T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.0mm rather than as it is now T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.5mm?

2a) Am I obliged to advise the client that the T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.0mm should now be replaced with the same cable as used in the majority of the lighting circuit, that is T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.5mm
OR
2b) Can I simply leave it as it is and just advise the client that there is a mix of CPC size on the lighting circuit. Afterall the safety disconnect of the circuit is fine anyway.

Thanks to all in advance for your views.

Hi All,

I am a newbie to the forum so please be gentle! :eek:

Today I have come across a recently rewired house and I noticed that the installing sparky has indicated on the Install Certificate that the lighting circuit is T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.5mm. However, I have noticed that in fact there appears to be several runs where T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.0mm has been used instead.

From a testing point of view it is fine and Max Zs is well within the Regs guidelines. I am just wondering 2 things and despite checking my regs cant find any 100% answer.

1. For the certificate - should it actually have been issued stating the smaller T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.0mm rather than as it is now T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.5mm?

2a) Am I obliged to advise the client that the T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.0mm should now be replaced with the same cable as used in the majority of the lighting circuit, that is T&E 2 core 1.5mm and CPC 1.5mm
OR
2b) Can I simply leave it as it is and just advise the client that there is a mix of CPC size on the lighting circuit. Afterall the safety disconnect of the circuit is fine anyway.

Thanks to all in advance for your views.

I didn't know that you could get 1.5mm T&E with a 1.5mm cpc I thought all 1.5mm T&E had a 1mm cpc.

I didn't know that you could get 1.5mm T&E with a 1.5mm cpc I thought all 1.5mm T&E had a 1mm cpc.

Same here.

But in answer to the hypothetical question, I would list the smallest csa present for the cpc.

As pennywise said, record the smallest value. it's quite common to see mixed conductor sizes. One common practice was to wire the circuit in 1.5 and use 1.0 f or the switch drops.

Hi - I've got the same issue at the moment: I'm, doing a pvc conduit installation using 1.5mm single core cpc on the lighting circuits in conduit (no supplier could get me 1mm single core), however there are places where I am going over to 1.5mm/1mm twin & earth outside conduit, where it seems sensible to do so.:) Is this OK?
(First post! - whew)

Hi - I've got the same issue at the moment: I'm, doing a pvc conduit installation using 1.5mm single core cpc on the lighting circuits in conduit (no supplier could get me 1mm single core), however there are places where I am going over to 1.5mm/1mm twin & earth outside conduit, where it seems sensible to do so.:) Is this OK?
(First post! - whew)

It's fine! Just record the smallest CSA on the cert, and you could also note the differing sizes too. If Zs are OK then what's the issue?

Reply to Lighting Circuit - Mixed CPC Sizes! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock