Discuss Lighting circuit through airing cupboard in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why have you used oversized 1.5mm squared when 1.0mm is perfectly adequate, even in the airing cupboard?

My understanding was that 1.5mm was standard for lighting circuits? Is this not the case? I guess 1.5mm would future proof to a certain degree say if I decide to do more downlights in future.

If your decorating why not chase any cables in? Instead of running trunking etc.?
We’re living here while doing it so trying to reduce the amount of chasing if possible due to dust etc. Thinking that running a bit of trunking on the back of the airing cupboard will be less messy, easier and make it easily accessible if it ever need to be changed / rewired in the future.

We’re living here while doing it so trying to reduce the amount of chasing if possible due to dust etc. Thinking that running a bit of trunking on the back of the airing cupboard will be less messy, easier and make it easily accessible if it ever need to be changed / rewired in the future.
I just haaaaate trunking :D

My understanding was that 1.5mm was standard for lighting circuits? Is this not the case? I guess 1.5mm would future proof to a certain degree say if I decide to do more downlights in future.

No. Lots of people seem to use it unnecessarily. 1.0mm is OK for up to 16 amps. Lighting circuits are typically 6 amps so 1.0mm is more than adequate even with more downlight than you could possibly need.

That was what the electrician said but the cable is also pretty old (red and black) so think it is best to just get it done now before we finish decorating, putting flooring down etc.

Red and black cable could be as new as 13 years ago. The life span of such cable is well in excess of 50 years so no need to replace.

No. Lots of people seem to use it unnecessarily. 1.0mm is OK for up to 16 amps. Lighting circuits are typically 6 amps so 1.0mm is more than adequate even with more downlight than you could possibly need.
I doubt in most situations you'll achieve 16 a on 1.0mm...

That’s interesting to know, Thanks!

I already have the 1.5mm cable but might use 1.0mm for the light switch drops as might get that through the existing chase’s

Red and black cable could be as new as 13 years ago. The life span of such cable is well in excess of 50 years so no need to replace.

We had a dual RCD consumer unit installed when we bought the house and the spark changed a light fitting in the kitchen for us. He said then that the cable was starting to degrade although all tested fine but recommended we rewire at some point.

I doubt it most situations you'll achieve 16 a on 1.0mm...
@GeorgeCooke did state "up to 16 amp"... so technically that is correct..... So are you....
Yea true, still... not likely.

36 posts when all OP wanted to know if it was acceptable to run a lighting feed surface in an airing cupboard, Sheesh. answer is YES. end of .

That was what the electrician said but the cable is also pretty old (red and black) so think it is best to just get it done now before we finish decorating, putting flooring down etc.

We had a dual RCD consumer unit installed when we bought the house and the spark changed a light fitting in the kitchen for us. He said then that the cable was starting to degrade although all tested fine but recommended we rewire at some point.
Perhaps the previous fitting overheated the end of the cable, in which case it needed cutting back a bit. Or perhaps the spark was looking for unnecessary work. Modern cable, whatever the colours, has a life in excess of 50 years.

Reply to Lighting circuit through airing cupboard in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net