Discuss lighting circuit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

macloon

Hey everyone I would like to ask for some advice. I am putting in a new lighting circuit into a dining room extension, which the client wants to be 2 way. There is an exsisting light in the dining room which is currently one way, but they also want this to be 2 way. The switch line for the exsisting light is at a switch in the dining room. The switch line for the new light is at a switch on the opposite side of the room in the extension. I have run a 3 core and earth between the 2 switches but am unsure how to wire the switches so both lights are 2 way. Thanks for any help.

two_way switch.jpgIf you have old core colours mixed with new the red core colour will be brown, the blue will be grey and the yellow will be black. On your three core+earth and the red will be brown and your black will be blue on your twin+earth.
You will need a two way function on the switch plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone I would like to ask for some advice. I am putting in a new lighting circuit into a dining room extension, which the client wants to be 2 way. There is an exsisting light in the dining room which is currently one way, but they also want this to be 2 way. The switch line for the exsisting light is at a switch in the dining room. The switch line for the new light is at a switch on the opposite side of the room in the extension. I have run a 3 core and earth between the 2 switches but am unsure how to wire the switches so both lights are 2 way. Thanks for any help.

Ok, just a couple of questions to make your proposal a little clearer
1/ you are installing a new light from an existing circuit or creating a new circuit from the CCU?
2/ You want the original light switch to be made a 2-way so that it can be operated from two places?
3/ You want the old light and the new light to be both 2-way operated?
4/ You want both lights, one on the old circuit and the new light on a 2-way switch?

Sounds like it would be best to rip out the existing and start a fresh, your going to have to chase the walls and lift boards anyway.

View attachment 7925If you have old core colours mixed with new the red core colour will be brown, the blue will be grey and the yellow will be black. On your three core+earth and the red will be brown and your black will be blue on your twin+earth.
You will need a two way function on the switch plate.

Toast,
Unfortunately the requirement for matching phase colours on lighting circuits is not as defined as you state it to be.
There is no reason that the original installer must have matched the colours as you describe as they are all on the same phase.

Hi there. Yes I am installing a new light on a new circuit. Yes I want the original switch to be made a 2 way switch. Yes I want the old light and new light to be both operated 2 way. And finally yes I want both lights on a 2 way switch

You need two x 2 gang, 2 way switches. Take live feed from rose (i assume) to the com on the first switch and link over the live the the second gang com. Now you need 2 x t+e from switch 1 to switch 2 as your switch wire live. From switch 2 com use t+e using each line conductor ad a switched live to each of the light fittings but don't cross your wires over ;). If more than one light fitting on the same switch is needed just link your switched live from one to the other.

It makes sense to me, what about you?

Not sure where your permanent lines are coming from /going to.
But your existing light must have L and SL at the dining room switch so connect them to L1 and L2 on the replacement dining room switch and use the 3+E to join L1, L2,C to L1, L2,C at the switch at the extension.

For the new light if you have L and SL at the new switch in the extension do the same: L and SL connected to L1 and L2 on the new switch and use 3+E to join L1, L2,C to L1, L2,C at the replacement switch in the dining room.
If you only have SL at the extension switch and L at the dining room switch the connect SL to C in the extension switch. Connect L to C in the dining room switch. Use two cores of the 3+E to link from L1 and L2 at one switch to L1 and L2 at the other.

Handy little badly drawn picture left hand one is the first option, right hand one is the second option.
You would not need to use the right hand one for the dining room light as you have L and SL at the switch already. Hope you wire better than I draw!
Switch wiring.jpg

Thanks for the advice, but I was wondering is there no way round just using one 3 core and earth cable? There is a SL at both switches and one 3 core cable run between them. Or do I have to run another 3 core cable?

Whatever way you decide to do this
You will require a pair of strappers for each 2-way switch (thats 4 cores beteween the switches for the mathematically inept :smile5: )
At the moment you have 3 :frown:

You need another core

There is a way to do this
"wireless switches"

Last edited:
Toast,
Unfortunately the requirement for matching phase colours on lighting circuits is not as defined as you state it to be.
There is no reason that the original installer must have matched the colours as you describe as they are all on the same phase.
That is true, but my explanation of the core colours were for clarity to the diagram shown.

Thanks for the advice, but I was wondering is there no way round just using one 3 core and earth cable? There is a SL at both switches and one 3 core cable run between them. Or do I have to run another 3 core cable?

Are you really asking these most basic of questions? Should you be undertaking this work? 2 way switching is something I could do as a first year apprentice.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Reply to lighting circuit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net