Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Lighting circuits and borrowed nutrals in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Adam_hacks

Adam_hacks Guest

Hey folks, quick question for you all, when changing the consumer unit do youHAVE to split the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits over two rcd's?

In the situation of the classic borrowed neutral on the landing light i usually re-feed it for a small charge. I would always look to do this but i don't want to be in a situation where i tell customers it has to be done for the regulations if its a choice for them to make if they want to pay it.

Hope this makes sence, i have spent ages looking in the regs and OSG, i just don't want to mislead people.

Thanks in advance, Adam

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum.

That would depend on how the socket circuit(s) are arranged. The last borrowed neutral I came across only had 1 socket circuit so I put both lighting circuits on one rcd and the sockets on the other.

3. Guest112

Guest112 Guest

off the top of my head I'm not sure if you HAVE to split lighting and power to either side of the split boards or if it's just good practice??

nothing more irritating than borrowed neutrals...

4. Murdoch

Nothing says you HAVE TOO but you need to minimise inconvienience!

5. Adam_hacks

Adam_hacks Guest

Thanks for the fast responses murdoch and peter, they have an upstairs ring and downstairs ring, so will be splitting them but what i dont want to do is

a) do a job that does not comply
    b) misslead customers by telling them it has to be done

I would always advise them to have the nutral re-fed and would always explain why

6. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

I would explain to the customer that if the lighting is all on one RCD circuit and it operates, then they will lose all their lighting. If they accept that and advise you that they want it to be as such, then you are designing the distribution of circuits to your clients' requirements.

Edit...
    I did of course mean same MCB along with obviously the same RCD :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. onions1066

onions1066 Electrician's Arms

We have a certain area we work in where this was common practice, the best way is to sort it the cheap way is to double the lighting up on one mcb,

8. Murdoch

If its left "as is" a comment on the EIC is in order.

9. onions1066

onions1066 Electrician's Arms

As is I would code it as a 2. both on 1 mcb I would note it as an observation only

10. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

I would go a little further than some of the comments made and say although there are millions of installations with an existing borrowed neutral install
    When you change the consumer unit,if you dont alter the circuit,you should not leave that situation of the borrowed neutral and still use the 2 feeds

There would be the same potential for shock as before, when working on a supposedly isolated circuit,but "you" have worked on the installation and you being the electrician,you cannot leave it "as is"

They should be put on the same mcb
    (Now,that solution will surely puzzle and cause the 1 mcb 1 conductor mob to self destruct) :banghead::53:;)

• Like Like x 5
  11. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

Definitely 1 mcb if you leave it with a shared neutral.
    What I would just add is that I always check for this before I carry out a CU change, and therefore have always had permission to get it sorted before touching anything. I would advise everyone to do the same.
    Half an hour with an MFT before quoting can save a whole load of hassle later on.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

As far as i'm concerned it's a no-brainer, ...why install a dual RCD CU, and have both the lighting circuits on one MCB on one RCD?? The whole point of dual CU's is to minimise loss of all lighting or all power from a single point fault!! Get the shared neutral sorted at the same time as up-grading the CU!!

13. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    now you've reminded me i've got to sort ours out on landing light. bugger.