Discuss Lighting configuration to have many switches or one switch for all lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Koth

Hi all

Per title. I'd like to have 6 lighting zones in my living room and do not know if it is possible to configure the functionality that I want via the switches. Essentially I am trying to cut down on the number of switches required.

I'd like 4 zones to have independent dimmers. These will be two pairs of dimmers. Additionaly, I'd like to be able to turn on each pair of dimmers and a third zone via a third dimmer that controls all three zones without having to switch them all on via three independant dimmer switches. This would also apply for the other pair plus it's third zone.

Apologies, I can see that this may not be very clear, I may return with a diagram later to help clarify.

Can anybody suggest a suitable method of doing this? I am trying to avoid using a huge grid switch if possible.

Thank you

I think most of the home automation systems allow you to group various lights together and control them.
The Criwi system, each box has up to 4 groups but will also allow you to control all on that box.
The hive can have up to 6 groups, you can customise a group button to turn on all and another to turn off all, but that reduces the number of groups you can have.
Not sure if extra controllers can be added?

Thanks all for the above replies :thumbsup:

I was hoping for suggestions that utilised traditional switches (though I realised that this is maybe not achievable).

Nevertheless I am off to research the above suggestions.

Not liking the price of Phillips Hue and not sure how suitable the other stuff is. I am installing 9 downlights in each half of the room. One dimmer switch would be controlling 3 of the 9. (I want to avoid having to turn 6 dimmer switches on if I want all the lights to cone on together). Is there a smart solution (or dumb solution for that matter) that negates the need to buy fancy bulbs and just controls all of the standard bulbs?

You could either switch the lighting in different parts of the room or you could switch different 'effects', eg downlighters, focal point lighting, ambient lighting etc.

A diagram showing the layout and how you would like to switch them would help I think.

It's a little crude but I have done a diagram. (Diagram is attached here).

Each set of three lights is in a different colour. The dimmer switches are numbered at the bottom of the image 1 to 6. Also, dimmer switch 7 is in the image, I'd like a configuration that will allow me to use switches 1 to 6 in isolation OR use switch 7 to switch all the lights on/off in one hit. Is this possible?

Thank you.

P.S. I think a smart system is probably out of the question due to cost.

View attachment 44782

layout.jpg

I've got to ask. Why do you want so many different zones in the one room?
The OP is a Design Engineer, need I say more? Need to ask that DI from DIY SOS he is used to working with Designers.

Last edited:
The OP is a Design Engineer, need I say more? Need to ask that DI from DIY SOS he is used to working with Designers.
OP do you wear those poncy frilly shirt type things that LLBowen wears?:tongue: just kidding

just buy 2 of these:
9281040_R_SET

and 1 of these:

upload_2018-10-11_12-25-20.jpeg

sssssimplesss.

@Koth ,

I've recently used some switches/controllers made by Quinetic.

Quinetic Wireless Switches - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Quinetic/index.html

These are wireless units, with the switches not needing batteries.

They do dimmer modules that can handle 1.5A (they are trailing edge and can handle 150w of LEDs each). The system works by pairing switch units with the receiver modules.

Each receiver can be paired with up to 10 switches.

So I'm thinking 6 x dimmable receivers, 3 x 2G Dimmer Switch modules and 1 x 1G Dimmer switch.

Each controller could be paired with 1 module from the 2G switches (giving control over the individual zones) and the 1G dimmer switch (giving master control over all zones).

They might be worth a look. Not cheap and may require some adjustment to the fixed wiring, but they may be suitable and may allow you to achieve what you want.

They even have a WiFi enabled dimmer which may allow you to control it via an app or use something like Alexa to control it with voice.

But I would advise you research thoroughly and use the services of a local electrician to do this.

If you wanted to go low tech, you could get 6 dimmer switches and a 2 way centre off master switch. It could then be wired so the master switch could be On, off or dimmed, in the dimmed position each of the individual dimmers would control the lights. You could possibly even add a master dimmer after the master switch. The wiring would be very non standard though.

Edit: Actually thinking about it you would then need a diode between each zone

Reply to Lighting configuration to have many switches or one switch for all lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net