Discuss LIghting dilemma wiring not working in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sat22

-
Reaction score
Hi, I have a dilemma. I am replacing an old rose pendant light with a fancy chrome one. There are 3 grey cables hanging from the ceiling.

Left grey cable has a neutral (black) and an Earth, can’t see a live (red)

Middle cable has all 3 red, black, earth

Cable on right has one earth and 2 red

I’ve connected but it’s not working. What am I doing wrong? Should one of the reds from the right cable be going into the brown? What do I do with the othe 2 reds? Also should there be 4 reds instead of the 3 that I have or is this normal?

Should I have left the fixing as per pic 2? this is from a diff light but as you can see has 4 reds not 3

269CFD0E-2B57-4949-8988-7B4455ABF330.png

732DC26A-BD83-4C26-87FE-3025DCB48FE2.jpeg

You need to have one of the cores from the twin red with your brown from the New fitting and all the other reds terminated together. (Obviously needs doing properly, can’t see the full picture..)

Bit of a pigs breakfast, the way you’ve connected that lot!:eek:

Hi thanks for the responses, the second pic is from a diff light fitting. I was trying to compare. Unfortunately didn’t take a pic of the set up for first pic.

So there appears to only be 8 cables. Would it still work if wired correctly and one of the twin reds wires to the brown. When you say isolate the other reds would I isolate as I’ve done in the pic or twist them together and then wrap the connector block?

This is the quandary,how is it possible to suggest it could be wired correctly,if it should have 9,and is wired with 8?

What testing gear have you got knowledge and access to?

Reply to LIghting dilemma wiring not working in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net