Discuss lighting fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dalf

-
Reaction score
When round to a job yesterday where it is extremely damp. Tested light all ok and working. Now had a phone call to say since after heavy rain the lights are tripping intermittently. Says trips rcd and Mcb but resets fine. Has happened 3 times today. Any ideas of tops of heads before going Tomor morning. All feeds have been joined under floorboards etc and tested out and worked fine yest. But guys have been in with carpet cleaners and heavy rain today and now it's started.

Thanks

Damp somewhere defo

I am struggling a little bit with your Grammar to be honest Dalf, you say you tested light, then lights are tripping. How about an explanation of the circuit, earthing arrangements, quantity of lights and why you think damp may be entering the circuit.

Earthing system is tns. 11 lights on the circuit doing offices on ground,1st floor and second floor. The building is covered in damp due to a leaking roof, so they have taken up floor boards etc on top floor to try and dry the building out for the next 3 months but want to let the ground floor out. As I said everything all ok yest but since heavy rain last night and the guys using the wet carpet cleaners the circuit has started to trip intermittently today.

So the clue is wet carpets, heavy rain,a good place to start at least?

Ceiling has been ripped down on top floor due to leaking roof and it being completely damaged. As I said circuit was all fine and tested all ok yest. All I'm saying is since yest it has rained a lot and the fault that has occurred today seems to be intermittent, as the guy from the council has said it resets fine when trips.

When round to a job yesterday where it is extremely damp. Tested light all ok and working. Now had a phone call to say since after heavy rain the lights are tripping intermittently. Says trips rcd and Mcb but resets fine. Has happened 3 times today. Any ideas of tops of heads before going Tomor morning. All feeds have been joined under floorboards etc and tested out and worked fine yest. But guys have been in with carpet cleaners and heavy rain today and now it's started.

Thanks

Go tomorrow morning and test it again.

Surely if they have ripped up floorboards and taken down ceilings then effectively they have removed the sponge/barrier, so the rain that fell will have most likely been able to get straight into the fittings a lot easier than before?

Top floor not being used...lots of signs of water ingress...why dont you isolate the top floor from the circuit until the damp problem is solved.

pretty much answered your own question mate....
Go back and re-test again. Its probably damp!!!!

Reply to lighting fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock