Discuss Lighting Not Working - Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RJUK

-
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've come here for a little help, after switching off my downstairs lighting circuit to change a light switch and then turning it back on to find that the back half of the house is now in darkness.

Basically, I wanted to add a WiFi switch for control of the living room lights, so switched the downstairs lighting circuit off on the RCD/fuse box and then unscrewed the light switch fitting. At this point the wife strolled back in and suggested doing the washing up, so I had to turn the lighting circuit back on so we could see in the kitchen. I hadn't yet disconnected any wires in the light switch, but had removed one of two living room ceiling lights to replace it. All wires for this light are exposed, but I made sure that none were touching.

The circuit breaker switched back on and stays in the "up" position, but none of the kitchen or dining room lights work. Only the front half of the house, including the remaining ceiling light in the living room. All other switches are in the "up" position too, so nothing has tripped.

What is likely to be the problem, and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Hi folks, I've come here for a little help, after switching off my downstairs lighting circuit to change a light switch and then turning it back on to find that the back half of the house is now in darkness.

Basically, I wanted to add a WiFi switch for control of the living room lights, so switched the downstairs lighting circuit off on the RCD/fuse box and then unscrewed the light switch fitting. At this point the wife strolled back in and suggested doing the washing up, so I had to turn the lighting circuit back on so we could see in the kitchen. I hadn't yet disconnected any wires in the light switch, but had removed one of two living room ceiling lights to replace it. All wires for this light are exposed, but I made sure that none were touching.

The circuit breaker switched back on and stays in the "up" position, but none of the kitchen or dining room lights work. Only the front half of the house, including the remaining ceiling light in the living room. All other switches are in the "up" position too, so nothing has tripped.

Thanks

Get a dishwasher - sorry I'll get my coat.
Someone with a clue will be along shortly :)

Hi RJ, one of the wires in the living room lights was probably an unswitched Live used to energise the next light along and you've probably disconnected it. Any chance you took a pic of the wires before changing anything?

There seems to be only one change in circumstances that has happened to the wiring which is making the rear half dark suckers fail

One of the preceding lights has been disconnected and the supply to them has been lost
Logic my friend use logic

Superb, thanks chaps. I suspected the missing light could be it, but not knowing how it all works I wasn't sure how or why that would be the case. All working again now. Thanks again.

One more question; can the below pictured switch be wired in where the other (already wired) switch is? If so, what wires am I putting where? I think the brown COM wire should go in L on the new switch, but what about L1 and L2? There only seems to be connections in L2 and N on the new switch. L1 and L3 are just holes...

Lighting Not Working - Help! 20171130_232302 - EletriciansForums.net

Lighting Not Working - Help! 20171130_232252 - EletriciansForums.net

that will never work because the switch that you where holding
is a two way switch .on the wifi switch you have a L L2 NUETRAL looking at the pictures

Just when i had a handle on Brexit...you go and get me thinking about EU again...;)

But i think your star point reference may be accurate :cool:

the wi-fi switch will prhaps need to be fitted at the other 2 way switch position and the wiring reconfigured. you need a local electrician for this. too advanced for DIY.

Yes, it did. I took a look at another plug in the garage and thought a neutral wire was present. Guess I was wrong. Not really worth re-wiring the house to fit these things though.

it may only be a simple job for an electrician. 1 -2 hours perhaps. depends on what cores you have at switches . might be easier to exchange the wi-fi switch for one that does not require a N.

Thanks. The main issue we wanted the WiFi control for, was because it's a new build house and they put some of the switches in the most daft positions.

For example, the light switch in the garage is at the front, by the big up 'n' over door. Nothing next to the internal door that goes into the house, so we have to walk out into a dark garage and stumble around in the dark to find the switch at the front.

Another example is the main thoroughfare in the house - between kitchen and living room. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to omit a light switch for the kitchen here, so again you have to stumble into the kitchen, across to a door over the other side of the room, next to which the single switch is.

You'd think in a brand new build they'd have this stuff figured out. There's also two single switches right next to one another at the bottom of the stairs, one for the landing light and one for the downstairs hall light. At the top of the stairs there is a double gang switch that operates the same lights, so why have them separate at the bottom of the stairs?!

it may only be a simple job for an electrician. 1 -2 hours perhaps. depends on what cores you have at switches . might be easier to exchange the wi-fi switch for one that does not require a N.
I assume it'll be a messy job though and require running wires between the switches and the light fixture? It's anew build house, so I'm not keen on tearing into the walls and ceiling. Think it might be easier to abandon the light switches altogether, unfortunately.

Is there somewhere on here to find good local electricians? I'm in Bristol and could do with somebody to add an additional switch in our garage and wire a light into our loft, but don't know how to go about finding somebody competent and reasonably priced.

You might like to look at this page:
Quinetic Wireless Switches - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Quinetic/Quinetic/index.html
That would fix your problems provided you are ok with wiring in the receiver(s) and you could simpy replace the existing switches and pair them to the receiver(s). This way, without any wiring, you can have the light switches wherever you want.
You have separate switches at the bottom of the stairs because that's what the spark had left in his van...bludi new-builds, I hate them!

Bit annoying that they just install two separate boxes in the wall rather than order a double switch in, but can't say I'm surprised.

Thanks for the link to the switch, I had already seen similar on Amazon and was considering them.

If I bought one for the garage, wired the receiver in and put it by the inner door of the garage, would the existing lightweight by the front up 'n' over door still work in conjunction with it? Or would I have to buy two of these switches and connect both to the receiver, removing the existing switch in the process?

Thanks.

Thanks
Time to call an Electrician by the sound of things.

No, if you use these switches you can't continue to use the "normal" switch (actually, there is a way but it involves an extra feed and gubbins and isn't worth the hassle).
FWIW, I would buy 1 receiver and 2 single gang switches. Fit 1 switch near the back door, either inside the garage or in the house by the access door, and fit the second one in place of the existing switch. The existing back box can be used to mount this second switch, using one of these:
Quinetic Flush Box Adaptor - (optional) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QURCP.html
and you can just screw or stick the other one to the wall in accordance with the instructions...it's very easy.
You absolutely must be able to isolate the supply to the garage light and check it is safe to work on, obviously.
The receiver just "splices" into the cable for the light, anywhere convenient, usually by the lightfitting itself, but in a garage the aesthetics don't matter much, so wherever is handy. It's useful not to tuck it too far out of the way as occasionally you might need access to the receiver to re-pair it with a switch.
You will appreciate that the existing switch has to come out and the circuit completed; usually that can be done in the existing back box, keeping it all neat, and allowing for re-instatement at a later date if required. Alternatively, you can leave the existing switch in situ and mount the new one wherever suits, but the old one has to be left "on" all the time, obviously. If it is accidentally switched off, the new switches will probably have to be re-paired when power is restored.
Tip: Install receiver and pair the switches before you finally mount them as you have to flick the switch on and off while the pairing light flashes on the receiver.

Reply to Lighting Not Working - Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock