Discuss Lighting Not Working - Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Great, thanks for the advice. The garage is on the ground floor lighting ring, so can be isolated with the same switch used for the living room ceiling lights, so no issue there. I also replaced the light fitting a while back with an LED tube, so have accessed the wiring before.

Shame the switches aren't available in the same style as the switches in the house, as I'd use one in the kitchen as well. Not sure I want to change all the switches though, nor have an odd one out.

Thanks again for the comprehensive reply. Should help with the garage lighting issues.

you have a forum member in your area...sparkychick. ...she's reliable and honest.maybe a pm would rouse her from her slumbers. :):)

You might like to look at this page:
Quinetic Wireless Switches - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Quinetic/Quinetic/index.html
That would fix your problems provided you are ok with wiring in the receiver(s) and you could simpy replace the existing switches and pair them to the receiver(s). This way, without any wiring, you can have the light switches wherever you want.
You have separate switches at the bottom of the stairs because that's what the spark had left in his van...bludi new-builds, I hate them!
could be seperate circuits? bottom of the stairs is probably downstairs hallway and then the 2way for the upstairs lighting

not got one of those then!View attachment 39530
Sure, but it's not the best or neatest solution. It means leaving a torch I. The worktop in the utility room and still having to walk to the light switch. A switch by the door would be far more convenient. We go out in the garage a minimum of twice a day because we keep rabbits out there, along with everything else the garage is used for. The more convenient, the better.

could be seperate circuits? bottom of the stairs is probably downstairs hallway and then the 2way for the upstairs lighting
No, both sets of switches operate the same lights. They both operate the downstairs hallway light and the upstairs landing light. Only difference is that one is a double switch and the other is two separate singles. The wiring in this place is generally a bit odd though. Having no light switch between the kitchen and living room is the most ridiculous omission, but naturally the builder doesn't want to sort it.

RJUK, why don't you pm sparkychick she is the nearest to you on this forum .the possible for her to put a out side light near you garage or light at the back door leading to your garage.
and don't forget we are not magicians.

Last edited:
Will do. There's a few lights and switches that could do with going in, so will give her a shout.

Sure, but it's not the best or neatest solution. It means leaving a torch I. The worktop in the utility room and still having to walk to the light switch. A switch by the door would be far more convenient. We go out in the garage a minimum of twice a day because we keep rabbits out there, along with everything else the garage is used for. The more convenient, the better.

No, both sets of switches operate the same lights. They both operate the downstairs hallway light and the upstairs landing light. Only difference is that one is a double switch and the other is two separate singles. The wiring in this place is generally a bit odd though. Having no light switch between the kitchen and living room is the most ridiculous omission, but naturally the builder doesn't want to sort it.
sounds like your house was wired exactly to what the architects drawings stated, is lighting just 1 circuit? or is 1 of the hallways included in the up/down stairs lighting circuit and the bedrooms on another?

if youre not fussed about a bit of redecorating in the garage id just allow for patches to be taken out to hide the cables in the garage if you decide to hard wire them in, or could go for the council house favourite of trunking ;)

good man, don't forget you will have to pay the piper!
we did a job for an elderly chap, so gave him a bit of discount, spent most of the day clearing his junk out of the kitchen just to wire in the hob, comes time to pay so my bosses heart strings are pulled and he basically halfs the price, dude goes into 1 of several jackets and pulls out about 2 grand in 20s!!!

Reply to Lighting Not Working - Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net