Discuss Lighting Sensors Not Working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alexam

-
DIY
Reaction score
Went to Maplin today and asked for a garage internal light with sensor that would switch on when doors opened. The salesman sold me a Energiser PIR Sensor Floodlight, 30 watt 90 Lumens, which he said should be good. Took it home and fitted it with the sensor facing the u/o door and light pointed opposite to light the garage. For some reason the sensor will not trigger when the door is opening, which is what I want it for, so that we don't have to get out and switch on a light.
Have I been sold the wrong thing, or are there different types of sensors that will recognise a garage door. Ir will trigger my movement and perhaps it's a 'warm' pickup as against cold? Any help would be appreciated.

I might be wrong here but i think you can use a tilt sensor for the garage door so when the door opens the tilt sensor will activate and will power up the light in the garage but the light will be one that has no PIR sensor and will be powered from the tilt sensor.

The PIR in my bathroom works even when my missus walks in there and there's no body heat in her at all.
Seriously though, the sensor (dependant on the settings you left it on) should work with any movement. There should be a sensitivity dial or time/delay dial and a day/night time dial. If the pir is still not tripping when you set the max settings in either extreme, then I would suggest that it may be faulty.

As Martyn has posted above try adjusting the PIR sensor to see if that works first set it to maximum and depending on where the light is situated you may need to adjust the angle of the PIR.

How a PIR sensor works... When the sensor is idle, both slots detect the same amount of IR, the ambient amount radiated from the room or walls or outdoors. When a warm body like a human or animal passes by, it first intercepts one half of the PIR sensor, which causes a positive differential change between the two halves

Ok so I have just tried this out by waving a lump of wood in front of my neighbours PIR light in the garden attached to his shed while hiding alongside the shed the light did not come on but my neighbour came out thinking i was trying to smash his light lol a bit of explaining to him and he has now gone indoors laughing his n*ts off thinking im mad but the light did not activate until i waved my hand in front of it so im guessing it wont detect a garage door opening either.

Yes it was dark. It works when it sees me but not the wood/aluminum door opening. If PIR is not correct, what sensor would do the job please. Trying to keep it simple rather than calling an electrician in for such a simple job for him

Reply to Lighting Sensors Not Working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net