Discuss Lighting switches to smart.. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mjpuds

-
Reaction score
Ok after pulling two switches off the wall in my lounge I have come to the conclusion I might be able to remove one of them.. I have one two gang and one old dimmer .. wanting to either replace 2 gang with a smart 2 gang . Or replace dimmer with singal smart . Looking at the switches I have the dimmer without a neutral .. and the present two gang could control both by using Alexa. Or is there a way the the dimmer switch (red,blue,yellow) be made to have a neutral coming from the two gang that does have a neutral.. the red blue yellow wires link back the the dimmer switch.

20190206_193656.jpg

20190204_221317.jpg

20190204_221321.jpg

I don’t think the black wire there is a neutral tbh. It’s a switched live to another light.

LightwaveRF doesnt need a neutral as suggested.

Thanks for the reply. I have already purchased a few wifi switches and installed them already . So it would be nice to keep the same design.

Sadly these do need a neutral.

Looking at the set up there, it’s possible to get a neutral IF it’s a central joint box system. One of those cores could be used. You won’t need a 2 way switch if you’re replacing with smart.

I would advise you seek an electricians help with this, and be prepared to lift upstairs carpet or flooring to reach the JB.

Ok I have a picture of the unit I was hoping to use . Strangely when connected the second light fitting flashes like a strobe.

20190211_195138.jpg

If I were to blank off the second switch where the very old dimmer what should i do with these to either finish off the cables or join them to complete the circuit .

38471-d7253abf44b1f738913a0c7404257c3d.jpg

Reply to Lighting switches to smart.. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net