Discuss Lighting Transformer - requires earthing? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi George,
The sockets are hid on the top of a cupboard and are dedicated to the transformers, nothing else.
Would using an earthed transformer be a better alternative?
Thanks,
Simon

Still not good practice though.

Also note what I said.

What you have are not transformers (whatever the suppliers say) they are electronic switch mode supplies.

Are these 13a sockets wired on to the lighting circuit via a light switch? If so that is bad practice. 13a sockets should not be on the lighting circuit. Think what would happen if someone plugged the kettle into one of them.

Also note what you have are not transformers (whatever the suppliers say) they are electronic switch mode supplies.

Maybe bad practice in your opinion, but far safer for a DIYer to be fitting a plug than having a go at altering the fixed installation.

In this situation it really doesn’t matter what you call the device, it has no bearing on the OPs question.

Maybe bad practice in your opinion, but far safer for a DIYer to be fitting a plug than having a go at altering the fixed installation.

I may have misread this but it sounds like the OP has already altered the fixed lighting circuit, to add a socket.

What you have are not transformers (whatever the suppliers say) they are electronic switch mode supplies.
Ok Winston. You need to take this up with the manufacturers and make them stop printing the wrong word on all their products.
13a sockets should not be on the lighting circuit. .
Winston, stop making things up. BS7671 specifically ALLOWS BS1363 sockets and FCUs to be connected to lighting circuits.

If you do not agree with the regulations then you need to join the committee and lobby for changes that are in line with your strange logic.

Ok Winston. You need to take this up with the manufacturers and make them stop printing the wrong word on all their products.

Winston, stop making things up. BS7671 specifically ALLOWS BS1363 sockets and FCUs to be connected to lighting circuits.

If you do not agree with the regulations then you need to join the committee and lobby for changes that are in line with your strange logic.

Why 'Winston'? Isn't the OP's name as per his name.... or is it like 'Snuckums' ?

He inhabits another electricians forum under that name, and winges on and on about devices that convert from 240v to lower voltages not bring transformers ( they must be made of laminated iron to comply, you see).
He also goes on and on about his belief that sockets are not allowed on lighting circuits (they are).
He has been close to a ban () on the other forum. Now, I may be wrong, but it’s too much of a coincidence that these two specific issues are being soapboxed by this George.
It’s a pity, I came over here to get away from this.

He inhabits another electricians forum under that name, and winges on and on about devices that convert from 240v to lower voltages not bring transformers ( they must be made of laminated iron to comply, you see).
He also goes on and on about his belief that sockets are not allowed on lighting circuits (they are).
He has been close to a ban () on the other forum. Now, I may be wrong, but it’s too much of a coincidence that these two specific issues are being soapboxed by this George.
It’s a pity, I came over here to get away from this.

There are other electrician forums???????

This is my forum. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This forum is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, this forum is useless. Without this forum, I am useless. I must answer the questions true. I must be sarcastic to my enemy who is trying to be sarcy at me. I must shoot him down before he shoots me down. I will...

This forum and I know that what counts in life is not amount of Thanks, the noise of whingy old men, nor the Likes we make. We know that it is the amount of posts that count. We will post...

This forum is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its Forums, its accessories, its lack of Thanks buttons. I will keep this forum clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before Dan, I swear this creed. This forum and I are the defenders of the universe. We are the masters of the plumbers. We are the saviors of the DIYers.

This forum is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, this forum is useless. Without this forum, I am useless. I must answer the questions true. I must be sarcastic to my enemy who is trying to be sarcy at me. I must shoot him down before he shoots me down. I will...

This forum and I know that what counts in life is not amount of Thanks, the noise of whingy old men, nor the Likes we make. We know that it is the amount of posts that count. We will post...

This forum is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its Forums, its accessories, its lack of Thanks buttons. I will keep this forum clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before Dan, I swear this creed. This forum and I are the defenders of the universe. We are the masters of the plumbers. We are the saviors of the DIYers.
BOLLOX.:D:D:D.

Full metal jacket lol

My name is not Winston. Sadly manufacturers are ignorant and obstinate.

My name is not Winston. The regs are sometimes wrong. That is why there are 18 editions and upteen amendments in between. No doubt one day an amendment will come in banning this bad practice.

Must be your twin brother then.
It doesn't change anything else though. An electronic transformer does what it says on the tin, and sockets are permitted on lighting circuits.

[
Must be your twin brother then.
It doesn't change anything else though. An electronic transformer does what it says on the tin, and sockets are permitted on lighting circuits.

I don't have a brother. The picture in post 3 shows a plastic box (not a tin) and has no mention of the word transformer.

I never said sockets were not permitted on lighting circuits, I said it was bad practice.

.The regs are written very poorly. That is why there are 18 editions and upteen amendments in between. No doubt one day an amendment will come in banning this bad practice.

Hum .. altered that first bit for you

As for "banning" 13A sockets on lighting circuits - who are trying to kid ............. best you stop the chinese supplying transformers for items such as under cupboard lights with 13A connections

Reply to Lighting Transformer - requires earthing? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock