Discuss lighting wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

vala

Hello all,
When wiring a lighting circuit is it possible to go from the RCD to each switch in the house, then from each switch go to the relevant set of lamps for that particular room?

Thats not the normal way of wiring lighting.
I'd suggest you get an electrician to look at what you need and quote you.
You need wiring to be safe and compliant to avoid danger and potentially invalidating your house insurance.

An RCD doesn't provide overcurrent protection so it needs to come from a circuit breaker that's protected by the RCD. Yes its now a common method on new builds to feed the switches due to downlights and decorative light fittings that done offer much room for connections.

Its not the usual way of wiring as already said, however there is nothing to say you can't, we have had to do this a few times over the years just put deeper switch boxes in to allow for the joints. I take it you mean a MCB.

Hello all,
When wiring a lighting circuit is it possible to go from the RCD to each switch in the house, then from each switch go to the relevant set of lamps for that particular room?

Why would you want to do this? its going to increase costs A LOT.

Hello all,
you mean loopin at the switches instead of the lights? nothing wrong with that. in factif you have a room full of downlighters, it.s a better method.

Good to know.
My electrician mentioned to me this method as he wanted me to get first fixing all the electrics in my house before he comes in. He comes in periodically to check up on things.
I'm a chippy by trade and did a bit of electrics whilst serving in the Royal Engineers so I'm not completely clueless about it, but my knowledge is very limited and I don't know all these various methods.

I do have downlights in every room. And yes, all backbones are 47mm so there should be plenty of space.

I've wired up all the sockets and lights, however we're now onto the switches and I'm a bit stumped as to how it connects.
I've labeled up every cable out of the back box so I know which is from the power source and which is from the first light (per room).

Can anyone help? I've got COM, L1 and L2 on the back of the switch. From the power source I have T&E and then from the first light I have T&E as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
How am I a 'wannabe spark'?
I am chippy by trade.
The sockets and lights have been a doodle and my sparky has confirmed they've been done correctly.
He's just extremely busy at the moment and I can't get hold of him, but would like to have these done before he comes in on Monday to connect everything up to the RCD and issue a Part P cert.

How am I a 'wannabe spark'?
I am chippy by trade.
The sockets and lights have been a doodle and my sparky has confirmed they've been done correctly.
He's just extremely busy at the moment and I can't get hold of him, but would like to have these done before he comes in on Monday to connect everything up to the RCD and issue a Part P cert.

Why would anyone agree to sign off work if they don't have the time to "supervise" and inspect the works.... madness.

Why do you think you need a Part P cert?

Hi vala, I know it can be frustrating not getting the answer your looking for but it would be wrong for any member to provide a step by step guide on how to connect your switches up as it could open up a can of worms if things went wrong. Hope you can appreciate this and best of luck with your project.

Why would anyone agree to sign off work if they don't have the time to "supervise" and inspect the works.... madness.

Why do you think you need a Part P cert?

He does come in to check on updates as I do them. So for example I first fixed the house, he came in, checked it was up to scratch (if anything wasn't he'd advise on what needs doing).
However the stage I'm at now, the next time he's in is to wire in the RCD. All electrics are new in the house.
He mentioned to me about the Part P cert.

Hi vala, I know it can be frustrating not getting the answer your looking for but it would be wrong for any member to provide a step by step guide on how to connect your switches up as it could open up a can of worms if things went wrong. Hope you can appreciate this and best of luck with your project.

Cheers for your reply and understand what you mean.
Final stage of the project now and would have been good to have it all done before he turns up on Monday. He know's I'm competent enough to have these bits done, otherwise he wouldn't have told me to go ahead and do all the other bits before hand, considering he'll be signing off all the work.

Cheers for your reply and understand what you mean.
Final stage of the project now and would have been good to have it all done before he turns up on Monday. He know's I'm competent enough to have these bits done, otherwise he wouldn't have told me to go ahead and do all the other bits before hand, considering he'll be signing off all the work.

Not trying to pick a fight, but if you are fishing on the internet how can he think you are competent?

Reply to lighting wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net