Discuss Lightwave switches/sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Anybody with any experience of this range of accessory care to shed any light ( no pun intended ) on it for me. Basically i have just completed a large 1st fix extension, and my customer has now told me thet intend on using the lightwave range. Ive had a quick look whilst i was on site as my first concerns were that i would maybe have to alter some wiring but it seems as though they are compatible with conventional wiring. Is there anything i need to consider or should no before i start to 2nd fix this stuff? I have an intermediate switch at the top of a staircase and i cant see that they have one within there range. Any help much appreciated.

I've used them some years ago and liked the concept ,but I did have some issues with them. For example they had compatibility problems with many dimmable LEDs, and would flicker when switching on or off.
I believe this has been sorted with newer generations, but I'd still check which brands they recommend as compatible.

I've used them some years ago and liked the concept ,but I did have some issues with them. For example they had compatibility problems with many dimmable LEDs, and would flicker when switching on or off.
I believe this has been sorted with newer generations, but I'd still check which brands they recommend as compatible.
Thanks for the informative reply. Thats the kind of repsonse i was hoping for.

I can’t say anything for their generation2 devices, but the early stuff was ok.

You won’t need an intermediate. Just use a battery powered remote switch and pair it to the main one.
Actually, doesn’t need a 2 way either. Just one main and any number of paired remotes.
Also they don’t need a neutral, so good for retrofitting in an older house.
If you want it controlled vie phone app, or Alexa you’ll need the Lightwaverf hub plugged into the router.

Hit and miss with dimmable LED’s... but they are partnered with Megaman so they should work.

I can’t say anything for their generation2 devices, but the early stuff was ok.

You won’t need an intermediate. Just use a battery powered remote switch and pair it to the main one.
Actually, doesn’t need a 2 way either. Just one main and any number of paired remotes.
Also they don’t need a neutral, so good for retrofitting in an older house.
If you want it controlled vie phone app, or Alexa you’ll need the Lightwaverf hub plugged into the router.

Hit and miss with dimmable LED’s... but they are partnered with Megaman so they should work.
Thankyou

Have you tried talking to Lightwave?

Just a thought.
You have no problems starting a thread when you are after information about a product, why can't others do that without such unhelpful posts? Pot, kettle and black springs to mind.

You have no problems starting a thread when you are after information about a product, why can't others do that without such unhelpful posts? Pot, kettle and black springs to mind.

Yes but I do take the time to ring manufacturers and seek advice directly from them ..... lightwave fell well short when I last spoke to them

Problem is that far too many people think a forum knows more about a product than a manufacturer ...... what a forum will do is tell you more about a products reliability and their support than anything else

#13;- What question did you ask them that they couldn't help you with?
I've always found Lightwave easy to contact and get answers from

Yes but I do take the time to ring manufacturers and seek advice directly from them ..... lightwave fell well short when I last spoke to them

Problem is that far too many people think a forum knows more about a product than a manufacturer ...... what a forum will do is tell you more about a products reliability and their support than anything else
Horses for courses - I'd far rather hear & get feedback about a product from my peers rather than from a manufacturer. Every manufacturer will insist their product is the best in the world, the most reliable and the easiest fitted.

If folk don't ask questions then the forum has little need to exist. RIP Forum, we phoned the manufacturer instead.

Imo asking the manufacturers what they think of their own products isn't as revealing as asking people that have actually used/fitted them.

Anyway, I had some of their kit a few years ago in an previous house. Its very simple to use and really places no extra workload or planning on the installer. I did have some bits die prematurely though, but I must have bought the kit 8 years ago so it was fairly early on in the smart home market, I'm sure they have made improvements. Certainly at least 2 switched sockets stopped switching after less than a year.

Also do fit 35mm backboxes as some plates are quite deep. As they're are electronics buried in there it's going to be kinder to give them as much breathing space as possible.

It's a fairly slim learning curve and once done, you can use the experience to promote the idea to future customers with confidence. This stuff is only going to get more popular, as it's a genuinely useful technology.

Imo asking the manufacturers what they think of their own products isn't as revealing as asking people that have actually used/fitted them.

Anyway, I had some of their kit a few years ago in an previous house. Its very simple to use and really places no extra workload or planning on the installer. I did have some bits die prematurely though, but I must have bought the kit 8 years ago so it was fairly early on in the smart home market, I'm sure they have made improvements. Certainly at least 2 switched sockets stopped switching after less than a year.

Also do fit 35mm backboxes as some plates are quite deep. As there are electronics buried in there it's going to be kinder to give them as much breathing space as possible, even though im sure I managed to get most in slimmer back boxes.

It's a fairly slim learning curve and once done, you can use the experience to promote the idea to future customers with confidence. This stuff is only going to get more popular, as it's a genuinely useful technology.

When we had to use them for a large house we had nothing but problems with the dimmers and LED GU10 this was in part to by then boss trying to bodge it.

When we had to use them for a large house we had nothing but problems with the dimmers and LED GU10 this was in part to by then boss trying to bodge it.

The big difference is, that unlike a traditional install you're basically deploying electronics around the house. And all the good practice in the world won't stop your work being at the mercy of the electronics inside. For example, traditionally a trusty spark would fit a switch of a quality they trusted, and make sure the terminals are down tight so that it can enjoy probably decades of reliable operation. On the other hand, a bodger would rock up and fit a cheap switch and give up tightening the terminals when theit equally cheap screwdriver tip shears off. My point being that the professional used to have more or less complete control over the quality of the install from start to finish.

But now... How do we know how well a certain brand of smart switch/dimmers internal circuitry handles fluctuations in resistance, flyback voltage, high frequency signals sent from other new tech over the power lines? I'm certain that some combinations of dimmer/lamp could work perfectly but I find it easy to believe there are also theoretically compatible combinations which won't get on at all. I think it will improve as new standards are developed. Until then, all anyone can do is research, read threads from others and check long term reviews of the kit.

I work in automation and I would say that smart homes are the future, and it should be embraced. But my work tells me that people should think about how much more room for conflict there is when you move away from simple mechanical control and into the realm of miniature circuits controlling mains power switching.

Reply to Lightwave switches/sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock