Discuss Limited vs Sole Trader vs 25 characters in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LeeH

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I need to become self employed to do a 4 mounts temp contract.

What is the quickest way to do this and what are the pros/cons of s limited company?

I know nothing about being self employed...

Any advice would be appreciated!

For 4 months it won't be worth your while going Limited Co, maybe use an Umbrella company, but you'll still be stung for tax and NI keep "ALL" receipts, breakfast, lunch, travel etc.

Long term though LTD Co is worth it if you have enough money coming in.

HTH

Edit,

are you working through an agency?

are you sure?
I am LTD Co for my IT work, it worked well for me, wheree else can you claim £55 for a Christmas tree for the "office" and bikes to "cycle" to the tube station as well as all the other stuff. I never ever held on to as much money that I earn't and regret not doing it 10 years earlier.

It’s through an agency ‘scantec’ on behalf of Balfour Beatty.

I presume they will be paying unless they just get a finders fee. I will ask when he calls back.

The options he mentioned were CIS or Limited and mentions something about a ‘cash plus’ business account as it can take several weeks to get a business account approved.

I’d like to start Monday so I don’t know if it’s do able.

I’d like to be as ‘tax efficient’ as possible and I maybe could put my rental property through it too.

New ground for me and quite daunting.

You won't be able to put a property through it, all I can claim is X amount for an"office" in the house but thats as LTD Co, are Scantec able to advise the best course of action as agencies usually have their own "nominated" companies and as its only a 4 month contract you don't want too many hassles or start up costs.

Avoiding VAT is the thing you need to worry about LOL, I owned a LTD company for years and it served me well, SE or LTD won't matter in your case, I would probably go for SE for the small time you intend to do this, VAT is the problem though, if you get near the threshold and the IR gets onto you your in for a lot of paperwork.

Reply to Limited vs Sole Trader vs 25 characters in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock