Discuss Live to neutral fault HELP!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Missing-spark

Ok pretty new to fault finding. Went to a property this is my fibdings
Mcb trips NOT rcd
Split ring main tested at socket got 0.22 on l-n insulation resistance on one leg
Tested at board got o.oo on both legs??? Wtf
Circuit has sky lights and underfloor heating on it.
What is the best method of action to kick this faults --- gotta go back tommorow only had a hour on it.
Its quite a new installation so doubt its wear and tear and its the loft ring main so doubt its mice. Is it likely the neutral or live in a s/o has come loose and connected with other?

What's the earthing arrangement?

What were the results of all the rests you carried out?

you did disconnect ALL loads before testing didn't you?

Is a confirmed ring. Tncs. All loads disconnected got l-e >299 both legs n-e >299 both legs. Is it a case of every socket/spur opened up. I

Like i said new to fault finding but not retarded. Seeing as though im performing a insulation resistance test its not lollipops is it? Am qualified just not experienced which is why i threw the question out here maybe from experience someone could have pointed a common occurance other than the obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confoooosed. You say you've confirmed it's a ring yet with those readings (not sure why you've IR to confirm but hey) it's not a ring.

As above what's the earthing arrangements ? If it's a TNCS have a think....

Then if it's still a n-CPC fault narrow it down to which circuit which if the readings for the above are correct although low the dead short ain't on your ring..

Too many variables but need more info but fault finding is allways start with the bigger picture and narrow it down..disconnect the n and CPCs at the board find put which circuit.. Then when you've find the circuit spit it down and down and down and down if needs be until you find the fault.. Can be a pain in the arse but comes with experience mate.

Also n-CPC fault is bad but that's not what's causing your MCB to trip so once you've rectified that then you'll need to find the cause of what's causing that. Overload, dead short (like me) or dodgy mcb. What loads on it?

Is a confirmed ring. Tncs. All loads disconnected got l-e >299 both legs n-e >299 both legs. Is it a case of every socket/spur opened up. I

That wont prove it's a ring will it? 299 what Mohms

Like i said new to fault finding but not retarded. Seeing as though im performing a insulation resistance test its not lollipops is it? Am qualified just not experienced which is why i threw the question out here maybe from experience someone could have pointed a common occurance other than the obvious. *removed*
1, Not a very polite comment fella is it
2.have you ever thought people are still up because it is the weekend, plus remember your here at the same time
3. Give us your idea of qualified
4.there is a difference between exhausting all possibilities and then Asking for help and having a 5 minute look at a job and then expecting somene else to sort it for you.
Just a few points for you to think about!
Now sit back relax and thankyou for flying with Con Air.

299 what? Lollipops, cable ties, points served?

Dillb is not being an *removed* making this point. You said:

got 0.22 on l-n insulation resistance

Now if that is 0.22 megohms, as I suspect, then I would give you one answer to your original question. But if it is 0.22 ohms, which actually seems more likely in the circumstances, I would give a different answer. So if you want effective help troubleshooting, give full and precise information! If I turned in a report stating that I measured "0.22" I would expect to lose my job.

Insults removed, OP on a weeks break and thread closed.

Reply to Live to neutral fault HELP!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock