Discuss Lived- in rewire in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'e walked away from 2 jobs because of these things. Once because of the things you have mentioned and the second because of needles. Not a chance I would have worked in any of them two houses. Money is one thing but FFS......

I'e walked away from 2 jobs because of these things. Once because of the things you have mentioned and the second because of needles. Not a chance I would have worked in any of them two houses. Money is one thing but FFS......

Yeah needles would send me running too.
I think with the job i mentioned, when your there you were just on auto pilot so to speak, just get it done and get the ---- out! Get home and get the shower on lol

last one we did was a bloody nightmare. went in at a low price for landlord as a foot in door, hoping for future work. 3 bed semi with 10 czech migrants living there, none spoke hardly a word of english. all on night shift at tesco, so all day, they were either in bed or in the bathroom with the door locked and CU was directly below bathroom.

haha, from reading some of your old posts, are you sure you didn't snaffle some substances from there?LOL.

House rewire when I was a mate at 18 years old. Spare bedroom had 28 caged rats as pets! The carpet was soaked in the "yellow stuff", also the floorboards and the joists. Fastest I've ever worked ripping up carpet, boards and running cables. Now that was when I was younger. Never do that gain, I was lucky and did'nt catch anything.

Note to you all, If its going to be bad for your health just dont do it.

A mate of mine a couple of years ago did a kitchen rewire and got some mouse ---- in his eye from the wet floor under the counters! He was on the toilet for 4 days, his face was swollen for a week and his eye site went back to normal after 10 days so he could drive again.

Another friend/workmate I was working with at the time got pigeon muck in his face one day. He spent the next 3 days on the toilet passing out water from a "number 2 area" of his body and almost ended up in hospital with dehydration.

This is not an HSE speech. Lads, just be careful out there. The HSE tell us these things for a reason, I've seen it face to face. Lets make the correct choice on the job.

I'm doing one now - my own house.

It's been "in progress" since 2008.

These things just cannot be rushed!!

So far, the old CU has been changed for a nice new one stuffed full with a shedload of RCBOs ( you know it's the way to go ) and a main switch.

The downstairs ring is done but plaster needs patching but there's no hurry - it's been like that for about 3 years now - and the garage which has been converted into a sun room & utility room / cloakroom ( that's a downstairs netty ) has been wired with sockets & lights.

Staircase and landing lighting is in progress - 2 gang switch at bottom of stairs - same at the top and a 2 gang intermediate on the landing so I can switch the hall light & landing light on / off from either upstairs or down. There's nowt much worse than struggling all the way upstairs and then realise you left the hall light on !!

All fittings are Crabtree and the board is ..... Wylex .. (couldn't get Crabtree board off the back of the lorry - only Wylex)

Cabling is all Prysmian - 1.5 & 2.5 but now thinking about it, as the lighting is spread across 3 6 A RCBOs I can get away with 1.00 cable which would be a bit cheaper & easier to handle.

Edit:

Getting back to the OP, maybe the best way is to start at the top & work downwards?

Upstairs lights and tidy up

Upstairs sockets & tidy up

then downstairs etc.

There you go, then. Do a Geordie............swap houses and do a 'live in yourself'

Used to rewire a three bed house in two days, and before anyone says anything like "bet that's a rough old job" no it wasn't inspected by the C of W Electrical, all surface, buckle clipped, floors down,carpets relaid, no making good that was done by others.

- - - Updated - - -

Used to rewire a three bed house in two days, and before anyone says anything like "bet that's a rough old job" no it wasn't inspected by the C of W Electrical, all surface, buckle clipped, floors down,carpets relaid, no making good that was done by others.

geordies in houses??? bloody 'ell. next thing will be welshmen in grass huts.

- - - Updated - - -

Bet that was a rough old job : )

- - - Updated - - -

Is that 48 hours non-stop??? - I'm getting too old for that kind of performance lol

btw did you need to tell us twice?

Don't do it! Run away! Ignore the phone! Dear god i can't think of anything worse than an occupied rewire! Done one once and it was a nightmare, there were daily arguments that i couldn't turn any circuits off and whatever room i was in they wanted something out of there or wanted to be in there! They had a tw4t of a dog that kept robbing my tools, i nearly nailed it to the floor! No more occupied rewires for this monkey!!

there is a a knack to doing these.
i sometimes used to get sent with an old lad who was called the ghost as he could rewire an occupied house and you would not know he had been in.
he was scrawny old man who all the old widows would take pity on and if you were with him you were guaranteed a nice bit of home baking or mince n tatties for your lunch.result.
he once told me to go and wire a doocot in some house we were wiring which had about 100 birds going mental in , i let them out and they all took off.
i thought then that maybe that wasn't too clever and asked the woman if her pigeons came back,
yeah son they are homing pigeons!panic over.
in all seriousness he showed me loads of wee tricks that still can get you out of a jam to this day

Reply to Lived- in rewire in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net