Discuss Liverpool Electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TheRoadEnd

first of all sorry for the essay ha.
i am just starting my level 3 on my apprenticeship. i am a work based learner and attend collage 1 day a week.
basically before i was in the job i have now i was at a company getting funded to have me there and basically they didnt care about apprentices so i was left with the odd job man who was finished and home by dinner time. The company were only house bashing and hardly ever done installation either and only small parts when they did, the, funded stopped and they laid me off.

i managed to pass all my level 2 and recently found a self employed spark who has took me on to finish my apprenticeship.
But, because of what i havnt learned much since being at my old company im really finding it hard in collage and dont seem to know anything when most of the class to me seem years ahead. i commented on something i didnt know and my tutor said i should be learning 90% in work and brushing up on what i know in collage; which left me feeling a bit in limbo.

Basically im really struggling in class and now to motivate myself because i dont think i will pass this course and have got it in my head to settle for a basic job elsewhere.
But im just wondering if any liverpool lads can help me out and know someone or somewhere i can go to help me catch up on my theory, Or a home tutor i could see.

thanks in advance

first of all sorry for the essay ha.
i am just starting my level 3 on my apprenticeship. i am a work based learner and attend collage 1 day a week.
basically before i was in the job i have now i was at a company getting funded to have me there and basically they didnt care about apprentices so i was left with the odd job man who was finished and home by dinner time. The company were only house bashing and hardly ever done installation either and only small parts when they did, the, funded stopped and they laid me off.

i managed to pass all my level 2 and recently found a self employed spark who has took me on to finish my apprenticeship.
But, because of what i havnt learned much since being at my old company im really finding it hard in collage and dont seem to know anything when most of the class to me seem years ahead. i commented on something i didnt know and my tutor said i should be learning 90% in work and brushing up on what i know in collage; which left me feeling a bit in limbo.

Basically im really struggling in class and now to motivate myself because i dont think i will pass this course and have got it in my head to settle for a basic job elsewhere.
But im just wondering if any liverpool lads can help me out and know someone or somewhere i can go to help me catch up on my theory, Or a home tutor i could see.

thanks in advance
i`m concerned.
have you spoken to the lecturers about this?...thats what their for as well as teaching the subject. Look, you have passed the level 2...which is good....now its about pushing yourself further to get the level three...
now, i am often wary of new members that come in here and start just asking this, that and`t other without a proper intro etc..their usually DIYers looking for free advice n all that lot....there is a tranee section in here (just PM sintra)...further more you will find the open forum easy to navigate and full of knowledgable folk that will be able to help and advise you....
you need to study though...get in those books....

Last edited:
Level 1, if anything like i can remember, is just the very basics, level 2 & 3 being the real deal so to speak.

It seems your work experience is or has been solely based on house bashing which isn't really going to help you much on the theory side. As for your lecturer at collage coming out with crap like that, he's there to teach you, if you don't understand something then he's there to ask and to explain.

So what's this self employed Spark like, in his ability to teach and show you the ropes?? Does he explain the whys and wherefores to you, or be able to explain things when you have a question on an aspect your not clear about??

You can always ask here, maybe get a ''Mentor'' here too. But don't come just looking for answers, or you'll get short shrift. Explain the question fully and give your own thoughts, or your take on any equations/calculations your asking about. The member's here, will then be happy to help you through your query.

Welcome to the forum RoadEnd. Try a question on us then. Don't get too hung up on the theory, just break it down to a logical sequence and build on it. Start at the beginning.

1. What is electricity? Find out about electrons, electromotive force and magnetism, the difference between voltage and current, and the effect resistance has on them.
2. Once electro motive force has been created (there are two distinct types), the next thing is to understand how it gets from the point of creation, to the point of use. This is called distribution.
3. Once at the point of use, electricity needs to be controlled. This is done with segregation of circuits and switching.
4. What is this electromotive force to be used for? It can drive motors to produce a mechanical effect, or create light, or heat through elements like in a kettle or immersion.

Don't clump the whole concept together in your head, just think about it as a product that is created, transported, and then distributed to various devices to create an effect.

So, what is the first question?

thanks lads, appreciate the help and need as much as I can. voltzelevtrical without me disregarding your start from the beginning question, the first question Id like to ask is what is the correct order to carry out an electrical test (periodic) I think I mean :thinking: late next month we have to go into the assessment booth and carry this out in the correct order. From what I know there is a 3 phase board which then sulpplies a domestic fuse board with lights, ring, immersion ect. yes I have spoke to my lecturers about how unconfident I am and he has tried to reassure me that I will be fine and they will get me through my time, but also I know there is too many people in the class for him to sit and guide me through things and get me feeling more confident especially now we are on level 3 and there is so much to cram in (without sounding selfish which is why I was asking about home tutors. The self employed man im with now is great, couldn't ask for a better mentor. hes paying me out of his own pocket to get me through my time and without him I wouldn't of been allowed to start my level 3 because I had no placement. He goes through things we do and why we are doing it and tries to talk me through it but its hard as most of you will know time is money in his game because hes self employed ect.

guidance note 3 is the relevant book to read. I am not about to type it all out for you. You need to buy it as you will need it the rest of your working life anyway. The correct order of tests both dead then live tests are described in detail in there.

You can pick it up in wholesalers or on the internet.

Last edited:
I hope the Electrical Trainee read this and see 5 weeks and a test will get you know where.

Hope you get your head round it. Have you got any text books?

I don't usually think they help, but in your case it would be something you could sit at home and read.

thanks lads, appreciate the help and need as much as I can. voltzelevtrical without me disregarding your start from the beginning question, the first question Id like to ask is what is the correct order to carry out an electrical test (periodic) I think I mean :thinking: late next month we have to go into the assessment booth and carry this out in the correct order. From what I know there is a 3 phase board which then sulpplies a domestic fuse board with lights, ring, immersion ect. yes I have spoke to my lecturers about how unconfident I am and he has tried to reassure me that I will be fine and they will get me through my time, but also I know there is too many people in the class for him to sit and guide me through things and get me feeling more confident especially now we are on level 3 and there is so much to cram in (without sounding selfish which is why I was asking about home tutors. The self employed man im with now is great, couldn't ask for a better mentor. hes paying me out of his own pocket to get me through my time and without him I wouldn't of been allowed to start my level 3 because I had no placement. He goes through things we do and why we are doing it and tries to talk me through it but its hard as most of you will know time is money in his game because hes self employed ect.
their isn`t one.
i would however carry out R2 of bonding conductors, r1 r2 rn, R1 R2/polarity and IR first though...

their isn`t one.
i would however carry out R2 of bonding conductors, r1 r2 rn, R1 R2/polarity and IR first though...

Yes there is Glenn, it's set out in the onsite guide and Guidance Note 3

1. Continuity of CPC
2. Continuity of Ring Final (3 steps)
3. Insulation resistance
4. external earth fault loop impedance
5. Earth fault loop impedance of final circuits
6. Prospective fault Current.
7. RCD disconnection times

Or something along these lines anyhow. I'm doing this from memory!

I think the OP is getting a tad confused with his terminology. I don't think he means an EICR.

Yes there is Glenn, it's set out in the onsite guide and Guidance Note 3

1. Continuity of CPC
2. Continuity of Ring Final (3 steps)
3. Insulation resistance
4. external earth fault loop impedance
5. Earth fault loop impedance of final circuits
6. Prospective fault Current.
7. RCD disconnection times

Or something along these lines anyhow. I'm doing this from memory!

I think the OP is getting a tad confused with his terminology. I don't think he means an EICR.
initial verification yes...
ECRs no...

Reply to Liverpool Electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net