Discuss Load concern in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All and thanks to those who take the time to reply.

My concern is the amount of current the building could pull in use. I will try and give some salient facts.

160 flats over 8 floors. The landlords areas per floor consist of 20 x 20W led lights and several occasional cleaners sockets hence a few amps per floor - I'm not worried about these.

Other noteable loads are...

The laundry has 10 x 25A washer / driers.
The lift is 3 phase and is rated t 30A
The water is pumped to all floor and the pump can draw 60A.

Each flat (160 of them) has seven circuits. Hob (4KW) - 20A breaker. Heater (1KW) - 6A breaker . Ring-32A breaker . Lighting 6A breaker. Fridge-6A breaker. Shower (7.5KW)-32A breaker. Water heater (3KW) - 16A breaker.

The incoming supply is a 400A 3 phase PME, so 1200A total.

As the flats are "all bills included" the occupants will think nothing of leaving the heats on all the time and a 1K heater never thermostatically switched off as the rooms are so big. So 160 a 4A (1KW loading) = 640A. That's half the supply taken already and would only leave 3.5A per flat.

When I have raised my concerns I have been told not to worry but I do.

With diversity you're looking around 60A (someone may correct me on the exact figure). 60A x 160 flats = 9600A. That's a bit over a difference from the incoming 1200A.

Perhaps there are special calculations as all flats may not be in use at the same time etc. But with the info I have given can person(s) put at mind at rest and confirm the 1200A supply is more than capable?

Once again, cheers for reading and for any reples.

A clamp ammeter or 3 might resolve some of the concerns.

I'm sure that the National Grid managers fear the day everyone leaves at least 1 light switched on.

Reply to Load concern in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net