Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Loading bay traffic light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. tomspark93

tomspark93 Electrician's Arms

I've been asked to install some 24v red/green traffic lights for some loading bays. Basically when the shutter doors go up the lights need to turn red and then when they go down they need to turn back to green to signal the lorry driver it's safe to pull away from the dock.

Has anybody installed these before and know the best way to do them?

I've attached my idea and would like to know if this would be a suitable solution? If it is then what kind of relay would I need as I'm not really familiar with them?

Cheers,

Tom

IMG_3157.JPG

2. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

3. marconi

marconi Regular EF Member

You need to think about how this signalling system could fail and arrange your door contacts and relay contacts wired logic so that it fails leaving a safe indication to the driver of a Red light meaning 'Stop' or no Green light meaning not 'Safe to Move off'.

So, possible failures are:

1. the shutter door contacts.
    2. the relay.
    3. the relay contacts.
    3. the power supply.
    4. the fusing (non shown yet).
    5. wiring damage.
    6. lamp failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

Also it may be a good idea to have some sort of timer in there, so the door needs to be closed a couple of seconds before green, goes instantly red when it opens.

If the limit fails the red lamp needs to come on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

What are you intending on using to sense the roller door is closed, a magnetic reed switch as used on security alarm systems?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Maybe they should think of the person inside closing the door presses a button when all is good to make the light go green and so on rather than rely on an automated process?

• Like Like x 1
  7. tomspark93

Thanks for the replies so far, a lot of Interesting points!
    Already suggested a switch so in one position the lights are red and the other position they are green but they want a "fool proof" system so that they don't just get left on.

Yes I was thinking about using a heavy duty shutter door contact

8. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

As opposed to fabricating your own system just contact companies which produce these lights who can provide controls which integrate with the shutter controls. This would ensure any safety requirements are complied with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tomspark93

Post deleted

10. tomspark93

That's one of the questions I meant to get across in the op as I'd much prefer that for piece of mind/ease of install/quoting. I was wondering if anyone could recommend something?

11. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

I have never installed these but several companies supply them with the necessary control systems.

12. tomspark93

Thanks, I'll give a couple of them a ring tomorrow if they are open and see what they say.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1