• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Location of switches for fixed kitchen appliances. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can someone tell me what reg's there are now, that dictate the requirements for, and the positions of, switching for fixed kitchen appliances?

For example ---

Is it now acceptable or prohibited -- according to the latest reg's --, to fit the cooker switch, the hob switch, and the extract fan switch, under the worktop, and behind a deep draw? -- The bottom draw in this case, and the switches can only be reached by first removing the draw.

The draw will inevitably be filled with stuff, and in the event that someone needs to immediately kill the power to one of those appliances, they will either have to empty the draw and then remove it in order to reach the switches, or run out of the house and into the garage, and flip the circuit breaker.

Please tell me there are still reg's covering this. Are there?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.
BS7671 is not that specific in its detail to be able to specify locations of switches. The only reference is for switching off for mechanical maintenance where the switch should be placed so that it is convenient for its use 537.3.2.4
Unfortunately the switches you refer to are generally functional switches or possibly isolators and no such regulation applies to them.
However behind a low drawer in a kitchen is just foolish, at the back of a cupboard is bad enough. I have spent many hours searching for control switches in kitchens because of poor placement.

Personally the isolators are functional, not a safety thing (correct me if I'm wrong). They are there to isolate for maintainence/extended periods of no use. I wouldn't put them behind a drawer, but I wouldn't mind if a customer wanted them hidden to an extent. If you need the isolator to switch something off because of fire/live then the mcb/rcd/fuse hasn't done it's job, and the problem is already too far along for electrical isolation to make a difference. I'd welcome being proved wrong though.

Drawer!!!

For me it's the practicality of it. Is there much point of even having a switch (other than a point of connection) if it's in such a position?

Just inside a door of a normal cupboard would be more suitable IMO, although this would be kitchen design dependant.

Last edited:
Thanks for those replies. I was hoping that there was something a little more precise -- as there used to be. The IEE reg's used to be a whole lot clearer on this. They used to use phrases like "separate from" and "readily accessible". And the positional limits for the cooker switch, were clearly defined. It's depressing that they are now so vague on this subject.

Of course common sense should be employed, but that's why you need regulation in most fields, because too many people, -- so called professionals -- don't have any.

I agree, though I personally don't like it, that in a nearby cupboard, at the front so easily reached, would be acceptable. But to put them in a draw, where by no stretch of the immagination are they easily accessible, is to me, beyond stupid. Which is why I wanted to know if the current reg's has anything to say on the subject, as I could then quote that, to have them moved. I guess I'll just tell the owner my opinion, and leave it at that then.

Time was, if an electrician had done that, and been proud of it, he'd have been sacked. Time was, electricians didn't fix socket boxes to walls with structural foam too, they used plugs and screws, and a host of other things I won't bother to mention. Times have changed. Anyway, I didn't come here for a rant, just to get the answers you have provided.

Thanks all.

You need to engage your brain a bit, why on earth would you want to put them behind a draw anyway? In the event of a fire how will you be able to isolate the appliance quickly and effectively?
What's a draw?

What's a draw?
oh, come on pete:
Location of switches for fixed kitchen appliances. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Are there any building reg's that stipulate where sockets and or switches can go? --- In existing domestic dwellings?

How about installing socket and s/spur immediately under plumbing connections to kitchen sink? Which current electrical reg's cover that? Now we all know those compression fittings never leak, so there's no possibility of water dripping onto the socket or spur is there. :-

PS. I don't have access to the current regs, that's why I'm asking what are in effect I admit, stupid questions.

Are there any building reg's that stipulate where sockets and or switches can go? --- In existing domestic dwellings?

How about installing socket and s/spur immediately under plumbing connections to kitchen sink? Which current electrical reg's cover that? Now we all know those compression fittings never leak, so there's no possibility of water dripping onto the socket or spur is there. :-

PS. I don't have access to the current regs, that's why I'm asking what are in effect I admit, stupid questions.
you could say that a socket in a ground floor room directly below a shower on the first floor could be subject to water ingress caused by a leak or a teenage daughter using the shower as a spraygun.

Seriously? That's a bit different I would suggest. But as I said earlier, I guess times have changed and perhaps today modern electricians think installing a socket immediately under a plumbing connection is perfectly fine. Doesn't matter at all that when the plumbing connection is undone for any reason that any water remaining in the pipes will flow all over the socket, unless measures are taken to prevent it, and of course the power switched off, just in case. After all, the socket and spur faces can be removed the water drained out again.

So much better, and better practice to have sighted the socket and spur away from the potential soaking, and no extra effort, other than thought. Hey ho.

But as I said, thanks all.

On the lighter side, this silly choice of location for FCU etc makes me think we should create a companion IS scale to go with the existing IP. Instead of a scale ingress protection it would be an Installation Silliness scale. This one would rate up a far way :)

Reply to Location of switches for fixed kitchen appliances. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back