Discuss Lock off kits ........... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Iv got one of the Martindale lock off kits with approved voltage tester and proving unit.

All is well, however, im not sure how some of the lock off devices are meant to be used and on what type of breaker/isolator.

Iv also had a few situations where Iv been unable to find an appropriate locking device, mostly when faced with large isolators or mccb's etc

Is there a definitive list or instructions on such devices?

the ones i use have the spring clips which fit in the small holes in the MCB.

I doubt there is specific instructions but usually the manufacturers of switch gear have own brand or approved lock offs that will fit their equipment all it could take is a call to their customer services to find out.
Personally I don’t like the martindale test lamps if they still have the spring loaded test probes for me a bit of doubt remains that the probe is actually making contact with the terminal and has nearly caused some problems for me in the past so I chucked them and now have fixed removable shrouds that work much better for me. I do like the martindale proving unit though one has been knocking around in my van for close to 10yrs now :thumbsup:

The Martindale probes can be permanently exposed by pulling back and trusting 1/4 turn. Took me 3 months to work that out then it totally changed them. Any 2mm exposed probe end is very untrustworthy and usually gets a haircut back to what is workable - always keeping an original set for assessments!

So what's the big red lock for? It's huge. There's also a blue one that I've never seen a use for.

I've had to purchase some specific Schneider ones so I'm aware manafacturers have their own locking kits.

Usually I'm faced with isolators/switch gear that was installed before the arc so doubt there is a specific lock from manafacturers

So what's the big red lock for? It's huge. There's also a blue one that I've never seen a use for.

I've had to purchase some specific Schneider ones so I'm aware manafacturers have their own locking kits.

Usually I'm faced with isolators/switch gear that was installed before the arc so doubt there is a specific lock from manafacturers
If the big red lock you are referring to is plastic and made by MK, then it’s for bathroom fan isolators.
Most MCBs can be locked off with the G clamp style.

The Martindale probes can be permanently exposed by pulling back and trusting 1/4 turn. Took me 3 months to work that out then it totally changed them. Any 2mm exposed probe end is very untrustworthy and usually gets a haircut back to what is workable - always keeping an original set for assessments!
I do vaguely remember that but decided I still didn’t like them and flung them in the bin :tearsofjoy:

Reply to Lock off kits ........... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net