Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Lock off kits ........... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. gazdkw82

gazdkw82 Trainee Trainee Access

Iv got one of the Martindale lock off kits with approved voltage tester and proving unit.

All is well, however, im not sure how some of the lock off devices are meant to be used and on what type of breaker/isolator.

Iv also had a few situations where Iv been unable to find an appropriate locking device, mostly when faced with large isolators or mccb's etc

Is there a definitive list or instructions on such devices?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    the ones i use have the spring clips which fit in the small holes in the MCB.

3. MFS Electrical

MFS Electrical Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    I doubt there is specific instructions but usually the manufacturers of switch gear have own brand or approved lock offs that will fit their equipment all it could take is a call to their customer services to find out.
    Personally I don’t like the martindale test lamps if they still have the spring loaded test probes for me a bit of doubt remains that the probe is actually making contact with the terminal and has nearly caused some problems for me in the past so I chucked them and now have fixed removable shrouds that work much better for me. I do like the martindale proving unit though one has been knocking around in my van for close to 10yrs now :thumbsup:

4. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    The Martindale probes can be permanently exposed by pulling back and trusting 1/4 turn. Took me 3 months to work that out then it totally changed them. Any 2mm exposed probe end is very untrustworthy and usually gets a haircut back to what is workable - always keeping an original set for assessments!

• Like Like x 1
  5. gazdkw82

So what's the big red lock for? It's huge. There's also a blue one that I've never seen a use for.

I've had to purchase some specific Schneider ones so I'm aware manafacturers have their own locking kits.

Usually I'm faced with isolators/switch gear that was installed before the arc so doubt there is a specific lock from manafacturers

6. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

to stop F**KING d88K HEAD TURNING IT ON .

• Like Like x 1
  7. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

I don't use a lock off kit .I get my guard dog to watch any person getting near the isolator .

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

If the big red lock you are referring to is plastic and made by MK, then it’s for bathroom fan isolators.
    Most MCBs can be locked off with the G clamp style.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gazdkw82

You sir, get top marks.

10. gazdkw82

Perfect. Useful info.

At the moment it feels like guess work to find a lock to fit on different equipment

11. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Looking at the kit you have it seems the majority of the locks work in the same way, as clamps onto the CB lever when switched off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sparkdog

sparkdog sparkdog Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    C MacRae Electrical
    L like those Dave Austin videos, He's really good.

13. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Don’t encourage him - his visa is up soon and he has to return to Alpha Centauri via Waitrose for a snack (it’s a long trip)!

14. MFS Electrical

MFS Electrical Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    I do vaguely remember that but decided I still didn’t like them and flung them in the bin :tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
  15. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

No rubber grommets in the back box.......

• Like Like x 1