Discuss locks on distribution boards and BS 7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd think very hard about installing a lock on a DB. The Main switch, and switches on MCB/RCDs are points of isolation, which may require being accessible in the event of an emergency.

Is there a Reg regarding Distribution Boards having lockable doors? particularly in a construction site enviroment, regardless of, dare i say it, common sense.

No regulation as such for lockable doors (obviously IP must be met) but the enclosure should be suitable for any external influences encountered, BA2 and BA3 in particular.

Personally, I don't like locking DB's.

Check 416.2.3 on page 60 of BRB. Cheers!
Goody that's not a bad answer but in this case the op is talking about a c/u locked in a commercial/industrial installation. The reg you mention is (imo) focusing on things like a c/u front that needs to be accessed by a tool to gain touch with live parts. If a c/u is not accessible 24/7 due to it being locked its against the regs in a few ways, I can't be bothered looking them up now, its too late. I'm not having a go at you Goody, its a good reg that you've brought up, it just doesn't apply to this situation.

Reply to locks on distribution boards and BS 7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on a volt drop query we have in our office. I'll explain the scenario and I would really appreciate any...
Replies
Views
For context i am in my 2nd year in college and my head is going round in circles a question in my project for which i need to select the right...
Replies
Views
Quite a few new builds are popping up locally in my area. I have noticed that they are not even being first fixed until the buildings are...
Replies
Views
We have started a business building garden rooms/caravans/mobile homes under the caravan act. We have only done one so far and I got an...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster here. Straight down to it.. A friend asked me to add some sockets and additional lights to a small...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock