Discuss Locks On Residential Distribution Boards Or Isolator Enclosures in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

ChallengeElec

Hi Guys, just a quick question to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know if there is a Reg stating that you cannot put a lock on a dis board or isolator enclosure in a residential environment. Something along the lines of it needing to be accessible without the use of tools or a key.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys, just a quick question to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know if there is a Reg stating that you cannot put a lock on a dis board or isolator enclosure in a residential environment. Something along the lines of it needing to be accessible without the use of tools or a key.

Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about a lock that prevents access to the main switch and the circuit breakers, or a lock that is applied to those devices ?

The phrase "without the use of a tool or a key" is used at least once in the regulations and is mentioned in the regulation that deals with access to live parts and IP ratings of enclosures.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

Hi, sorry to answer your question with a question, Andy has offered an explanation, but can I ask the reason you wish to do this, is or has there been an incident whereby someone has gained access and injured themselves, a lockable enclosure in an industrial/commercial scenario is mainly to stop unauthorized access. Again sorry not to able to give you any advice, it would be good to know your reason, if you feel like telling us.

with some domestic customers, handcuffs behind their backs is advisable.

My niece has her consumer unit and a rotary isolator for pv in her hallway its approximatly 1.2m high in the main walkway and her children take delight in turning things on and off. On a lighter note the RCDs are tested regular. Bet she wishes she could lock this.

I personally would never suggest locking a consumer unit with a key, at most I'd say something that's turntable with a coin of flat bladed screwdriver would be better as you easily open it.

Hagar amd 3 boards a lock & key is available

product Description Trade Price*
comparelist_add_to_list.png
VMLOCKVM Consumer Unit Door Locking Kit14.49 ÂŁ / prt.prt.

Last edited:

Reply to Locks On Residential Distribution Boards Or Isolator Enclosures in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net