Discuss Loft insulation and down lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DIYBlues

Hi guys

What do you do with the loft insulation when installing downlights. do you remove it and at what distance? Do you use hoods designed for the lights and keep the insulation?

Blue

remove insulation for at least 4" all round fitting/s and make sure no insulation above. ssssimples.

I use thermal seal cap ALC724 from TLC. It leaves enough space round the light without having a cold spot or draft from the loft. For a neat job cut a hole in the bottom layer of insulation (if more than one) then top layer(s) lie over the top of the cap.

thermal seal caps should be used, as these lights have breached the 30 minute fire delay (the plasterboard and skim) required by BCO. they also stop the ingress of spiders, flies, insulation dust etc. I now actively advise against fitting these lights as the quality of construction has fallen so much that they are becoming thermally unsafe, and present something of a fire hazard. If you dont use firecaps, they stay cooler, but will move dust and airborne vapours into the floorspace/loftspace, which will become trapped in GF and present a fire hazard. If you use the firecaps, they generally run hot and eventually burn out. I have binned loads of them!

As good a solution as any (and infintesimally cheap) is to construct 2 sides of a box with plasterboard,a plasterboard top and shove it over the fitting between the joists,lay the insulation over that
It stops the crap from covering the downlight and re instates the fire protection

As good a solution as any (and infintesimally cheap) is to construct 2 sides of a box with plasterboard,a plasterboard top and shove it over the fitting between the joists,lay the insulation over that
It stops the crap from covering the downlight and re instates the fire protection
but does it des? reinstate the fire protection that is as standard plasterboard isn`t fire rated......

but does it des? reinstate the fire protection that is as standard plasterboard isn`t fire rated......

Use the same plasterboard as the ceiling is constructed with,it is a fire compartment with the same material,

Glenn I use this method, its quick, cheap, adaptable and as good as all the wierd contraptions that can be purchased
icon7.png

I am going to be putting fire rated spots in my bathroom and changing the lamps to led ones but it is going to be very expensive. On the plus side though the lamps should last for ever and my leccy bill will be a bit lower.

Only fit fire rated down lighters and use plasterboard to keep installation at bay, also started fitting LED lights that are the future but price needs to fall before many will even consider. I put it in a way to the customer that x amount spent on fire rated down lighters and installation kept away is a small price to pay in relation to the value of their house. Seems to make them look at it as a step in the right direction. :cool:

Reply to Loft insulation and down lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net