Discuss Loft Light - Please Check my Diagram in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BlueRaa

Hi,

I am fitting a loft light off a spur from a new junction box. The junction box has the terminals laid out in a line and most diagrams I have seen have them laid out in a circle.

I just wanted someone to give this crude diagram of mine a look over and check I have got the switched live correct and all seems in order. When I run the power down the live and back up the neutral in my head, it logically makes sense.

Thanks! :)

First up, welcome to the forums :)

I agree with @Ian1981 , the diagram is correct, what I'm concerned about (and it may just be terminology) is "loft light off a spur from a new junction box".

Do you mean you are connecting to the existing lighting circuit or a different circuit (such as a ring main)? If it's the later, then you need to take the spur from a fused connection unit as the lighting will only require a 3A fuse (I'm assuming you are using 1.0mm or 1.5mm twin and earth cable for the lighting part).

And, it goes without saying, please be careful and ensure you have fully isolated the circuit you are working on. I'd also add, even though this is a relatively straight forward task, I would advise you engage the services of an electrician as we have the gear to properly test the circuit and ensure it is safe once the modifications have been made.

I agree with @Ian1981 , the diagram is correct, what I'm concerned about (and it may just be terminology) is "loft light off a spur from a new junction box".

Do you mean you are connecting to the existing lighting circuit or a different circuit (such as a ring main)? If it's the later, then you need to take the spur from a fused connection unit as the lighting will only require a 3A fuse (I'm assuming you are using 1.0mm or 1.5mm twin and earth cable for the lighting part).

And, it goes without saying, please be careful and ensure you have fully isolated the circuit you are working on. I'd also add, even though this is a relatively straight forward task, I would advise you engage the services of an electrician as we have the gear to properly test the circuit and ensure it is safe once the modifications have been made.
Good point
I'd assumed it was the existing lighting circuit located in the loft space.

It is a lighting circuit. I would never attempt taking it from a ring main. Far too scary for me. I have double checked the consumer unit. I have found the switch for the upstairs lights and isolated it. So all is good. Really appreciative of the feedback thanks :)

Oh and yes, using 1.5mm twin and earth in the new colours. I have earth sheath and live and neutral sheaths too for marking the switched live. Apologies if my terminology is rubbish. But yes, definitely from the existing upstairs lighting circuit located in the loft :)

just make sure all cables have their sheath inside the JB and all connections are tight. screw box down and fit a few cable clips.

just make sure all cables have their sheath inside the JB and all connections are tight. screw box down and fit a few cable clips.

Just added an edit to my post as you must have been typing this and I have addressed sheaths. I also have a ton of cable clips thankfully. Don't want the cables all loose and messy like they are at the moment. Keeping it neat and tidy and avoiding tripping hazards :) Thanks for your reply, much appreciated :)

BlueRaa is in wallasey, so it needs to be a IP68 JB to future proof when wallasey is under the sea in 100 years' time.

You don't know which bit of Wallasey I am in though. I might be right by the Green Dome, higher than most of Liverpool

It is a lighting circuit. I would never attempt taking it from a ring main. Far too scary for me.
Always makes me smile, that sort of comment.

BlueRaa, I am not having a dig.
ANY electrical circuit is scary. A 6amp, 230v lighting circuit can kill you as easily as a 40amp, 230v shower circuit can.
A very small amount of current can put your heart into what ios known as fibrulation (that means it's not beating properly any more!)
It only takes as little as 0.03 of an amp to put the heart into fibrulation.

Its worth learning about safe isolation. There's a pocket guide here
https://www.niceic.com/Niceic.com/media/Pocket-Guides/Pocket-Guide-5.pdf
its what keeps us electricians alive.

could have given me a "dumb" pete. never had a "dumb" (yet).
Well I suppose it is a bit Dumb, but not for a good Mate Tel, remember etiquette. Oh by the way taken a dose of that stuff you recommended seems to be working, must go to the Chemist Sorry TESCO and get some more, strange I don't need a prescription, at 4 quid a time, saving the NHS seems almost a doddle.

if everyone used some common sense, bought a few beers, bottle of wine, or some 70%proof, save the NHS millions. not only save, but inject a fortune by way of tax,duty,vat, and any other robbery the gov. can ----- out of us.apparently,smokers are the best contributors. the tax on smokes is 10 times the cost to the NHS of treating smoking related diseases, but with smokers, treatment is shorter by 10 years because we die, smoking for the country and no medals after.

Always makes me smile, that sort of comment.

BlueRaa, I am not having a dig.
ANY electrical circuit is scary. A 6amp, 230v lighting circuit can kill you as easily as a 40amp, 230v shower circuit can.
A very small amount of current can put your heart into what ios known as fibrulation (that means it's not beating properly any more!)
It only takes as little as 0.03 of an amp to put the heart into fibrulation.

Its worth learning about safe isolation. There's a pocket guide here
https://www.niceic.com/Niceic.com/media/Pocket-Guides/Pocket-Guide-5.pdf
its what keeps us electricians alive.
I didn't mean to infer it was safe. Just taking a spur from the mains seems like a far too complex a job for me / not confident enough to do it.

Believe me, I was raised being told constantly to never, ever put things in plug sockets, turn light switches off when changing bulbs, don't even think about putting your fingers or anything else for that matter into the lamp holder because if you do you would have a heart attack / burst into flames / both. I have a very, very healthy fear of both electricity and gas! Believe me! But thanks for the guide, I will read it :)

Why not just get somebody in who has the qualifications/knowledge to do it safely?

Not the way I would have done it .........

Wonder if his earthing and bonding are up to scratch?

Not the way I would have done it .........

Wonder if his earthing and bonding are up to scratch?

How would you do it? Open to suggestions? Is it easier to just do it in series as it were ie go junction box then to switch then to light fitting, rather than have them come off the junction box seperately?

How would you do it? Open to suggestions? Is it easier to just do it in series as it were ie go junction box then to switch then to light fitting, rather than have them come off the junction box seperately?

I charge for my advice....

Reply to Loft Light - Please Check my Diagram in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net